CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phooka

Large Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to have a CO2 leak in my kegerator. I have a 3 way manifold and a single stage regulator. I ususally keep two kegs on tap at all times. However, I go through CO2 like crazy. I'm lucky if a bottle lasts me 2-3 kegs. The guy at the gas supply store suggested spraying windex on the connections to find the leak, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Any thoughts? Could it be the regulator with an internal leak? Is my cheapo brass distribution manifold leaking from the valves? It's slow enough it usually takes a month to empty the bottle.

Ideas?

Beyond hoses, and distributors, how are your seals in your kegs? How is the connection of your hoses to the kegs.

That sounds like the last place I'd question if you can't find it in the distribution manifold or on any of the crimps in your CO2 lines.

Make sure to double check that the posts on the keg are mounted correctly (gas in post --> gas in hole, liquid out post --> liquid out hole). I mixed mine up once, and it had a small leak. The leak only presented itself when I pushed down on the tubing connection on top of the keg (or when the keg was in the kegerator since it is a tight squeeze in the Sanyo). It took me a while to figure that one out (2 tanks worth of co2:cross:)...

Double check the nylon gasket on the stem to your primary regulator to your tank.

I had the same problem, and it turns out this was the cause.

I would use a solution of dish soap and water not windex. The soap/water makes nice bubbles, just apply around all your fittings with a paint brush and that shi\ould show you where the leak is. I had troubles with a manifold so I silver soldered all the connections.

The Wizard's suggestion is a good one.

Also Star-San sanitizing solution makes a great leak detector and you don't have to worry about off flavors or rinsing it off like you would with windex or soapy water.

HI,

Sorry to hear about your CO2 leak; I am going through the same thing. I wanted to pass on this thread to you to at least make you think about this. It may or may not be your problem.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=692000

It's pretty easy to take your gas in connector off a keg, and while pressurized and still connected to your gas line, completely immerse it in water (or soap solution, or whatever is handy - NOT BEER! ;) ). My bubbles were evident pretty quickly. Don't mistake a few bubbles for a leak though. There can be some air trapped inside the connector. Look for a steady, small bubble (CO2 bubbles are smaller than air bubbles due to surface tension differences between CO2 and air).

To the exclusion of any parts that could have significant contact with my beer, I'm thinking of putting a serious coat of Lubrifilm on anywhere else that might could leak...

Hope you get it figured out soon. I know how stressful this is, and we don't need to get stressed by this hobby/passion!

:mug:

Back