Rubbermaid 5 Gal Mash/Turn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I finally got it all to fit together :rockin: Works well. I have pictures loaded up in the gallery. Not sure how to link them here.

You see under the pics in the gallery, the block that says "BB image code"? Copy that, and paste it into a post. I was going to do it for you, but I'll let you practice. :)

Looks good!

Here are all of the parts:

100_0381.jpg

This is the order that all of the fittings go together.

100_0388.jpg

This is the outlet of the Kewler Kit. Notice that on the brass nut it is machined to fit the O-ring snugly.

100_0393.jpg

This is a pretty snug fit inside here. Any ideas to connect these two a bit more easily please let me know. I think this is going to be a pain in the A** to disassemble.

100_0402.jpg

Here it is working! It leaks a little bit but I have got some paste to solve that problem.
100_0403.jpg

jro16 said:
What do you use this for?

A Mash/Turn is used in All Grain procedures... or in my case Partial Grain. Think of it as a big strainer that has a valve to control the flow rate.

Michael_Schaap said:
Here it is working! It leaks a little bit but I have got some paste to solve that problem.

Yeah, I'm not sold on those weldless fittings. I just had a keg converted at my HBS with one of those and it leaks pretty badly. I'm thinking about maybe putting that one on E-bay and using the funds (yeah, I'm a tOOl) to get another sabco.

Dude said:
I'm thinking about maybe putting that one on E-bay and using the funds (yeah, I'm a tOOl) to get another sabco.

well before you put it on ebay ya tool:p give us a crack at it!!! lol

Dude I went to Lowes and got some of this white stuff that is made with Teflon. It says completly NON-TOXIC. I have not tried it yet though.

Hey Michael, where did you end up getting your fittings? That looks like 3/8 stuff, and all the Kewler Kitz I've seen are 1/2 inch.

El Pistolero said:
Hey Michael, where did you end up getting your fittings? That looks like 3/8 stuff, and all the Kewler Kitz I've seen are 1/2 inch.

Yeah it is 1/2. The HBS had the 1/2 to 3/8 barb and I was not thinking and did not get two. I put that on the inside and got a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer from Lowes. I could not find a 1/2 to 3/8 barb which is why I had to go the reducer route. However since its on the outside it worked out fine. There is not much room on the inside, but if you had to use a reducer there too you should be able to do it.

Why the effort for 3/8... well the output of the false bottom is 3/8. I was trying to get everything the same so I just have to have one size of tubbing.

Back