Wit weak on coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
I made a Belgian Wit recipe that calls for only .5 oz of coriander when most other recipes call for more. On top of that, I didn't get a very good grind.

Does anyone have any experience adding coriander to the secondary for wits?

I haven't done this, but the first thing that comes to mind is to make a coriander tea to add to secondary. Take another 1/2 oz of coriander, crack it up, and boil or steep in some water. Add to secondary, then rack on top of that.

Er. Yeah. :confused:

Anyway, you can crack some more and add it directly to the primary. You can brew up a coriander tea, or you could just microwave the cracked seeds for a 30 seconds or so.

The CO2 being devolved by the fermenting yeast will scrub some of the aromatics but not much.

Cheers,

Bob

My bad. Sorry about that. I'm so used to adding ingredients when I go to secondary that I forgot I was skipping that step for the first time with this wit.

Do you think a half oz would be too much?

She's done fermenting, but the krausen refuses to fall. I heard this was common with wits. It will be hard to mix the spice in the primary if the foam is sitting about a quarter inch on the surface. I might have no choice but to go to secondary.

Back