Weissbier Mozart's Award Winning Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68*
Additional Fermentation
7 days @ 72*
Tasting Notes
A traditional style German wheat beer which is elegant in its simplicity.
Much to my amazement, this beer took First Place in the German Wheat and Rye Beer category (15) at the 2013 O.C. Fest of Ales.

I was (and am) very new to homebrewing, but I wanted the yeast to be the star of the show for this brew so kept the rest of the recipe fairly simple and straightforward. As the clove and banana aromas are a product of the yeast, I believe controlling fermentation temperatures was a big key to this beer's success.

I targeted (and got) about a 65% mash efficiency, so adjust based on your technique and equipment.

On a side note, the combination of Hallertau and Tettnang hops was a complete accident. On brewday I discovered I didn't have enough Hallertau! Knowing the style guidelines called for noble hops, I had some Tettnang left over from a different hefeweizen beer I was experimenting with, and adjusted the recipe on the fly into what you see below.

Brewing method: BIAB, partial boil

Ingredients:

3 lbs. Wheat Malt
3 lbs. Pilsner Malt
19g Hallertau Hops (4.5%), pellet
5 g Tettnang Hops (3.8%), pellet
1 vial White Labs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast (WLP300)
4 gallons bottled spring water

Procedure:
Heat 2 gallons botttled spring water to 168 degress, remove from heat, add grain stirring well, then cover and wrap in blankets or other insulating material. Unwrap blankets and stir every 15 minutes. Total mash time = 60 minutes.

While mashing heat 1 gallon of sparge water to 170*

Temp immediately after grain addition = 155*
Temp after 60 minute mash = 142*

After 60 minute mash, strain grain bag through colander and pour sparge water over grain slowly.

Top up to 2.5 gallons (this is just what I did, based on the size of my brew kettle) as needed based on the amount of water absorbed by the grain and bring to boil.

At beginning of boil, add all hops and boil for 60 minutes.

Cool wort (I used an ice bath, but wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy, so chill haze isn't an issue), top up as necessary with spring water to 3 gallons, and when at 72*, pitch yeast.

Fermentation temperature for first 12 hours = 72*
Fermentation temp for first 7 days = 68*
Fermentation temp for next 7 days = 72*

Bottle with 3.3 ounces of corn sugar (about 2.8 volumes of CO2).

If you brew this, let me know how it turns out!

Congrats! Did you get your score sheets back? I took second in Belgian/French Ales, but I was very disappointing with a lack of comments on the score cards on how to improve the beer.

Congrats! Did you get your score sheets back? I took second in Belgian/French Ales, but I was very disappointing with a lack of comments on the score cards on how to improve the beer.

Thanks!

And no, no score sheets yet. Given that judging was more than a month ago, I'm rather disappointed.

Congrats!

So 14 days in primary then how long in the bottle?

Just long enough to carbonate. I often get good carbonation in as little as a week, but at room temperatures, it's never taken longer than two.

Hefeweizens, I understand, are best enjoyed young, so as soon as they're carbonated, they're good to go.

Sounds great! I may have to wait till spring. I don't have any temp control and my basement has been running about 64 and outside temps are dropping in MN :/

This looks good. I might have to give it a try. Does it lean more towards the banana or clove?

Can I substitute the Pilsner to Vienna
I don't like the taste of Pilsner any way and use wlp 370?

Latest posts

Back