White stuff on the top of my cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

placervilledan

Reaction score
Hello All, first time poster.

I'm on my second batch of cider, and ran into this. My gallon is in secondary, and the other day I noticed a kind of oiley looking stuff on the top. I opened it to smell, which turned out to be ok, but when I put the jug back, this white stuff kinduv congregated on the sides. It looks like it came from the oil. I have never seen an infection before and was wondering if this is the beginnings of one. I used White Labs liquid cider yeast, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and fresh pressed cider. And a campden (Sp?) tablet at the beginning. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Do you have any pics of this strange white goo?

If that's the case, his cider's flavor might have a little "wang" to it. hehe:mug:

Not to encourage any further tomfoolery in this thread but...

This puts a whole new meaning to putting meat in your cider...

placervilledan said:
Hello All, first time poster.

I'm on my second batch of cider, and ran into this. My gallon is in secondary, and the other day I noticed a kind of oiley looking stuff on the top. I opened it to smell, which turned out to be ok, but when I put the jug back, this white stuff kinduv congregated on the sides. It looks like it came from the oil. I have never seen an infection before and was wondering if this is the beginnings of one. I used White Labs liquid cider yeast, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and fresh pressed cider. And a campden (Sp?) tablet at the beginning. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rack it leaving this stuff behind and use Campden on it. This should take care of the problem!

Thank you all for the suggestions and/or advice. I must admit that I do get excited while brewing. But the level to which you speak is generally reserved for things like expensive scotch. :ban:

I was reading this thread and getting a good laugh until the next day I noticed a similar thin white film on my cider! A day later and it's almost covered the surface, so tonight I'm going to rack and add campden tablets.

I had planned to add priming sugar after the cider cleared and bottle to carbonate it. Will the campden tablets put an end to that plan? Any way to still get carbonation with priming sugar? thanks...

Back