Beer seemed somewhat carbonated after racking to bottling bucket, good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
This is the 3rd batch that I have bottled. I used my beer thief to gather beer for a hydrometer reading and the beer seemed somewhat carbonated. Definitely more so than the first two that I did. The beer in the hydrometer jar had a 1/4 inch of head, and seemed to have some bubbles floating to the surface. Not too concerned about this, but not really sure if its a good or bad thing. Mildly concerned about over carbonation. My first two beers were definitely flat when I racked to bottling bucket so this is different. I did let this beer sit in the primary for 2 weeks, and secondary for around 3 which was a little longer than the first two. Anyone else experience this? Is it good or bad?

Curious myself, I had the same experience this weekend. A buddy of mine said it was normal and more common with lower fermentation temps. My fermentation temps were around 64 deg. and my temp at bottling was close to that.

If you have no way to contain the co2 then it will go flat anyway so don't worry about it.

Back