East Lantern Citra IPA (All Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the following recipe. I haven't ever use Citra before but have 2 ounces and wanted to use all 2 ounces. I was thinking about bumping up the Victory to 1lb. not sure if that will make much of a difference.

East Lantern Citra IPA (All Grain-BIAB)

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.10 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.72 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Fermentation:Two Stage, 62F for 5 days raise to 68 for 14 days Secondary for 7 days

Beer Profile
Full Volume BIAB
Mash Rest: 148F for 75 min with 10 min Mash out
Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.6 %
Bitterness: 71.2 IBUs
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

Ingredients
Grain
10 lbs Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Western) (2.0 SRM) 75.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 19.0 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) 3.8 %
3.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.4 %

Hops
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight 7C's [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min 43.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min 16.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

3 oz of hops in an IPA is quite small... even less than I'd put in an American Pale Ale. I'd keep the bittering charges where they are, and then double or triple the late hops additions and dry hop. Malt bill looks good to me.

Looks pretty good to me...I'd add a little bit of crystal...but you dont have to. I wouldnt worry about hops in oz...its about the alphas. There is an arguement on hop amounts and flavor. I think that youll be fine. A real fruity ipa, think it will be delicious.

hadabar said:
Looks pretty good to me...I'd add a little bit of crystal...but you dont have to. I wouldnt worry about hops in oz...its about the alphas. There is an arguement on hop amounts and flavor. I think that youll be fine. A real fruity ipa, think it will be delicious.

I agree, I think 71 ibus makes for a great balanced IPA against a 1.070 grain bill. Don't get me wrong I love a good hop bomb but I save that for my double IPAs. Also I only have access to 2 oz of citra since it is pretty hard to come by which is why I supplemented with the 7c's.

Prymal said:
I agree, I think 71 ibus makes for a great balanced IPA against a 1.070 grain bill. Don't get me wrong I love a good hop bomb but I save that for my double IPAs. Also I only have access to 2 oz of citra since it is pretty hard to come by which is why I supplemented with the 7c's.

Also, I was thinking about adding 2-4 oz of chocolate, mostly for color. I could also use black patent or roasted barley

Sounds to me like you want to brew with what you have available. No problem with that, just won't taste like an IPA. 1.070 is getting near IIPA territory. The bitterness will be there, but .25 oz. of late hops and only .75 oz. of dry hops will give you very little hop aroma and flavor. It'll be a big malty beer. Nothing wrong with that... just not an IPA, especially the west coast IPAs you are likely used to.

I just picked up 2 oz of citra as well. What would be a good companion with the 2 oz of citra if I was going to use it on this recipe as the dry hop?

Sounds to me like you want to brew with what you have available. No problem with that, just won't taste like an IPA. 1.070 is getting near IIPA territory. The bitterness will be there, but .25 oz. of late hops and only .75 oz. of dry hops will give you very little hop aroma and flavor. It'll be a big malty beer. Nothing wrong with that... just not an IPA, especially the west coast IPAs you are likely used to.

Now that you point it out, it wouldn't have much of the citra aroma or flavor which is what I am wanting. I do however disagree that it wont be an IPA. To me an IPA is really about bitterness first then aroma. I agree that the West Coast IPA has changed that but it is not my belief. I edited the recipe to move the citra down to .5 at 15 .5 at 5 and 1 ounce dry hop.

I agree that 71 IBU's seems a bit low. I would encourage you to up, at least, the 60 min addition to get some more bitterness out of this beer. Either way, I'm sure its going to taste great. Also, not sure .75 oz of Citra will get you the hop aroma that you are looking for but then, I don't know what you are looking for. :) As a reference, I usually use 2 oz of citra in my IPA's just for dryhopping.

Using chocolate or roasted in an IPA would be unusual. Crystal 40 or 60 is a much more common addition. For me , at least, I think that would taste better with Citra.

Yeah I am beginning to agree, I already have all the other ingredients laying around. I think it would make more sense to go pick up some crystal from the LHBS. Or just leave the color down in the 6 srm range. Everyone is saying I need more bitterness but I am trying to stay within bjcp guidelines for a competition and 70 ibus is the top end for a standard IPA.

OK, My LHBS just got a few packages of Citra so I picked up 2 more oz. I am going to use 1 oz of 7c's for bittering then 1 oz of Citra at 15min and 5min and 2 oz for Dry hopping. I also killed 1 lb of 2-row to drop the OG to 1.061.

Latest posts

Back