My lesson on chilling your wort...using a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Well, after brewing my second batch and having to re-pitch (AGAIN!) I started evaluating my process. I soon realized the importance of rapidly chilling your wort...

After brewing my third batch and rapidly cooling my wort (under 20 min.--compared to over an 2 hours previously)--I saw much more rapid fermentation! Not sure on the science, but I'm assuming it has a lot to do with the way yeast react to their enviroment-- SCIENTISTS, please ELABORATE FOR ME! :drunk:

Previously I figured cooling the wort was all just BS, and a way to market a product. HOW WRONG WAS I??? Although the theory is that it will minimize chances of contamination--it actually does much more than that...like save you hours of waiting for your wort to chill.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT ALL NEW BREWERS INVEST IN A WORT CHILLER OF SOME SORT!

Thus, I have invested in a counterflow chiller (should arrive this week)... I am excited to see just how fast it chills the wort down--compared to my REDNECK version of chilling it.

One MORE thing I've learned is that a starter greatly increases the fermentation timeline. When using dry hydrated yeast or just the smack pack-- it took 48-72 hours for vigorous fermentation to start. Using my starter yesterday (and Mr. Malty of course)... Fermentation was thundering w/in 4 hours of pitching.

That kind of acceleration means that I get to bottle and enjoy/share my homebrew up to 3 days faster--by doing a 30 min. yeast starter.

I just thought I would share this EXPERIENCE--since theory only goes so far!
I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT NEWS FOR MOST--but it is applied theory, which a lot can be said for... hope this helps people decide on thier next brew toys...

Yes all very good knowledge and tips! Glad to hear things are going better for you. Now you can start yeast washing soon and you will begin to have more yeast saved up than you even know what to do with!

Back