Oktoberfest (Ale) yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfnole23

Reaction score
Here is my Oktoberfest recipe, AG and have a question about which yeast strain to use. I've heard S-05 works well. Any other suggestions? I'm down here in Florida so it'll be hard to keep it under 60 degrees throughout August.

4# Vienna Malt
2# Munich Malt
2# Munich 20L Malt
2# Pilsner german Malt
1.0 oz Tettnang hop (60 min)
.75 oz Tettnang hop (30 min)

I did a 10 gallon batch with a similar grain bill (2 parts Munich and Vienna to 1 part German Pils, used Hallertau instead of Tettnang) and split it between US-05 and Notty. Both were fermented at 63 degrees. So far I have the US-05 version on carb, and it tastes amazing. A month or so of lagering should make it nice and crisp, lager-like. I imagine the Notty will be similar.

I would be interested in Kolsch yeast, and in fact that's what I originally planned to use, but I think it might throw off a little too much of a acidic wine-like flavor to be compared to a true O-fest. A crisp clean Ale yeast like 1007 (or 05, Notty and liquid counterparts) would be more to style I believe.

You want to keep those temps down as close to 60 as possible. But I guess if you were to choose a yeast based on temperature constraints, US-05 would be my best guess.

I can probably keep it 60-64 with ice baths. After I bottle should i store in a small mini fridge to lager?

Yeah if you dont have capabilities to bulk lager, then I would just leave them in the fridge in bottles as long as you can stand it. Of course you need to bottle condition at room temp for 2-3 weeks after priming with sugar. Make sure they are carbonated correctly, then into the fridge they go!

The Wyeast 1007 is good between 55-68 F. I believe. Kolsch yeast is 56-70 F.

I plan on harvesting some wlp080 cream ale/lager blend from my cream ale and using that for a oktoberfest ale. Gonna try to go for it this weekend-have not used the yeast before this batch. Theoretically should be good if I keep temp in low 60s, don't know if any others have tried this. US-05 sounds good too.

just had another sample of my october harvest marzen today which I used Klosh yeast and its great. almost cant wait till october to finish the two cases. made this i april and I think I am going to enter this into a brew competition

I went with the US-05. Brewed on 8/10 Plan on leaving it in the fermentor until somewhere between 8/20 and 8/24. Using an ice bath, it took about a day and a half to get the temp down to 60 degrees. I want this beer to be ready on 9/17 for the FSU-OK football game and the start of Oktoberfest! I'd like it to be as close to a lager as possible. So I should bottle and let it condition at room temp? or cooler for lagering?

If you dont have room to cold condition (lager) in the fermenter, then I would bottle, let it carb at room temp for 2-3 weeks, and then put them all in the fridge to lager in bottle as long as you can stand it. Its pushing it for only having 5 weeks until game day, but I bet they will be good! Im almost done with the first keg of O-fest Ale I did this year with US-05, it is amazing!

Bottle condition at room temp, even 75 F would be ok, so the yeast will have greater activity and carbonate quicker. You could do that for 2 weeks then cold condition them in the fridge if you have any time left.

Just my 2 cents. I'm also doing an oktoberfest ale in a time pinch. I'm hoping to start wed or thurs and split 6 gal Wyeast 1084 and 6 gal Wyeast 1007. I'll post the results.

My oktoberfest have been in bottle for 2 weeks and I'm looking to tap in them next weekend. Should I cold condition them at this point with a week left? If so, at what temps?

Latest posts

Back