Overflowed Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlffmnnn

Reaction score
Made a Fat tire clone on Sunday and all went well until I noticed that I hadn't taken out the yeast bottle to let it warm for the appropriate 3-6 hrs. Just a bit ago the wife opened the pantry said it smelled like beer and noticed that the Primary has bubbled out through the air lock. How did this happen, and what can I do to fix it and get her floor clean. How can I also prevent this from happening again? Thanks for the input.

You need to rig a blowoff tube. Seach this site - I'm sure there's plenty of examples and pictures. It's not a bad idea to do this every time as sometimes it is difficult to predict when a blow out will occur. Your current beer is probably fine. I've had multiple beers go through the air-lock before I learned better. They all turned out fine. There are probably three main factors that lead to blow out: yeast strain, high gravity or highly fermentable wort, and lower headspace.

Now that I think of it it did have a big head after I aerated. Should I have let that settle?
Also do I just leave it till I rack to the secondary?

Happens all the time. I see it as good thing--you know your yeast is working it's butt off. Just clean it up and re-sanitize your airlock/blow-off tube. Don't worry too much, the force of the CO2 blowing off your airlock also kept anything from getting in your beer.

This happens to me about once every other beer.

When it has happened to me by surprise, I have switched to a blowoff tube as soon as I catch it. Depending on your setup, leaving it can be bad because fermentation can actually have enough force to blow a lid or stopper completely off. Then you'll really have a mess. Like Ravenshead said, clean it up, re-sanitize. You can then rig a blowoff.

I'd just let it go unless you're worried about the floor. A blow off tube doesn't really do anything for the beer at this point. It just keeps spooge off the floor/ceiling which are probably already a mess. Remember everything is coming out not going in.

I'd leave it alone until the blow-off ends and then clean it up.

OK I switched to the blow off tube so I didn't piss off she who must be obeyed. Went smoothly, sanitized to carboy bung and siphon tube. Sprayed my iodophor solution around the top of my carboy and put it together. It is bubbling away. Thanks for the help from all of you

Back