Two Hearted clone - secondary fermenter or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimmers

Reaction score
The recipe I'm following calls for the wort to be racked to secondary when the airlock activity is 2-3 minutes apart, then bottled when 3-4. Due to some issues there was no activity for the first few days, then it burst into life, so much so I needed to hook up a makeshift blow-off hose with part of a 3-piece airlock, hose and half-gallon growler. Everything seems to be settling down now and the activity has slowed to every 30 seconds (day 9). My question is, do I really need to transfer to a secondary or will it be ok to leave it in the primary? I've been careful with sanitation at this point and so far it's smelling great!

Another question: I rigged up the temporary blow-off hose just under a week ago but didn't want to risk screwing anything up by replacing with just an airlock again. Will that cause any problems for me? Will I be ok to leave as is or should I replace the water in the growler?

I bit off a little too much with this for my first brew attempt and I'm hoping I'm not pouring money down the drain.

if you do a rather long primary you don't have rack it to secondary. as to the blow off tube i don't think you'll have a problem but I've never used one, i just usually rig up a fancy flap style airlock and deal with the mess.

i never rack with airlock activity still going. that's a noob thing. it decreases the yeast count when yeast is needed still; otherwise, the yeast would be still. if you're looking at 7% or thereabouts, like two-hearted is, i'd probably 3-week primary, 2-week secondary it to let it smooth a little. there's a lot of talk about primary vs secondary, and lots of people will chime in either way, but that's just me. no, a blow-off vs airlock shouldn't cause any problems, either

Back