Weird smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thexyboi21

Reaction score
i just started fermenting a new batch of wine, a juice concentrate one. It has only been fermenting for 2 or 3 days (still in active) and it kind of smells like rotten eggs maybe not AS bad, but still kind of an eggy smell, its deffinitly not right. Anyone know how to fix this? Im thinking that its somthing to do with the sulfer because of the concentrate.

It may just be the campden working on it, if so it will go away. You did use campden right?

Campden it nothing more then SO2 gas and the production of CO2 gas in active fermentation can displace the SO2 and release it into the air giving it a smell similar to fireworks, rotten eggs or something.

yea i made 1 gallon, so i just crushed up one tablet, but that was like almost 24 hours befor i added the yeast.

Thats fine. You didn't do anything wrong. Thats how it works. The campden gas will stay in there until something else takes it out.

I would. That sulfur smell is NOT normal, and is a sign of stressed yeast.

This is what I was going by. Is he wrong?

Sulfur Taste or Smell: This may occur after treatment with Campden tablets or potassium or sodium metabisulfite. It will disappear with age, but if present upon opening a bottle-aged wine, decant several hours before drinking. To prevent the preservation of sulfur taste or smell, never bottle immediately after stabilizing a wine.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

This is what I was going by. Is he wrong?

Sulfur Taste or Smell: This may occur after treatment with Campden tablets or potassium or sodium metabisulfite. It will disappear with age, but if present upon opening a bottle-aged wine, decant several hours before drinking. To prevent the preservation of sulfur taste or smell, never bottle immediately after stabilizing a wine.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

After fermentation begins, the SO2 tends to disipate. If it gets worse, it's probably NOT simply campden treatment. One campden tablet generally won't cause it to smell too sulfury, especially after a couple of days of fermentation.

This makes me think it's H2S, which is bad news in a wine. If it's still fermenting, (above 1.010 SG), the wine can be stirred to help the H2S disapate. Nutrients help, too.

H2S often results from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen. Since campden was just used, bacteria should be minimal and I would lean to the campden causing the smell. If it was late in aging or campden wasn't used, then I would lean towards the bacteria and H2S.

Both S2O and H2S are sulfer compounds and smell pretty close to the same.

Back