Can "Quick Oats" go directly into the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBREW

Reaction score
I see that brewers flaked oats are pregelatinized. Do Quaker Quick Oats need a 2-3 min quick cereal mash, or can you just throw them directly into the mash?

I see instant cream of wheat in bulk box, but the instant oats are those small packs

I see that brewers flaked oats are pregelatinized. Do Quaker Quick Oats need a 2-3 min quick cereal mash, or can you just throw them directly into the mash?

Regular Quaker Oats (quick oats) are pregelatinized, which is why they're ready to eat in 1 minute. But, I don't believe the "old fashioned" Quaker Oats are pregelatinized.

Regular Quaker Oats (quick oats) are pregelatinized, which is why they're ready to eat in 1 minute. But, I don't believe the "old fashioned" Quaker Oats are pregelatinized.

+1 this is correct. I like to use oats. Even a little bit, 1/4lbs, I notice gives me some silky mouth. I used them in a blonde once in place of carapils, in an APA in place of the wheat etc, and it was always noticable. NB Hoptober uses them, I would guess in small amounts like this.

This is not correct Quick Oats are just cut into smaller pieces than regular or "old fashion oats" so they cook faster "Instant Oats" are precooked or what is refered to above as pregelatinized.

I cooked my oat first and I've also just added them straight to the mash I've used quick oats and old fashion oats. I have not noticed any difference in pre-cooking or using regular old fashion oat meal vs quick oats and precooking them or not.

So now I just use what I have and don't pre-cook it

http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainOats.html

Back