hoegaarden clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
a shot of what is supposed to be a hoegaarden clone, i dont think the recipe i found online was that close to being right but it still tastes pretty good.

602532809_Enp4M-L.jpg

Whose recipe was it?

I just did a tweaked version of Ohiobrewtus' clone, but pitched it on my saison yeast cake..I don't expect it to be a direct clone of what has become my favorite beer (I'm about to have my 3rd one of the night in a minute.) But I am hoping that it is at least tasty.

not sure, found it on a website a couple months back and thought i would give it a shot, i can look at work tomorrow and try to figure out where it came from. i think i had it saved there.

It's certainly not as light and straw like as the original but that has no bearing on flavor accuracy. My latest attempt at a clone was over spiced in every way. Oh well, still good.

I used ohiobretwtus' clone but substituted hallertau instead of cascade and used the Wyeast Bavarian White beer yeast, turned out amazing. Girlfriend actually polished off the last of the keg last night. That looks mighty fine though, drink it down.

I used ohiobretwtus' clone but substituted hallertau instead of cascade and used the Wyeast Bavarian White beer yeast, turned out amazing. Girlfriend actually polished off the last of the keg last night. That looks mighty fine though, drink it down.

I did it with hallertau as well, and pitched it onto my saison cake.

well, i looked and cant find it and of course the paper version got tossed, no big deal since its not worth making again but i wont be a ton of help with the recipe until i random stumble onto it online.

My first Belgian Witbier / Hoegaarden clone is bottle conditioning right now. I originally made it for a local microbrewery's competition but I forgot to bottle it early enough and I'm not holding my breathe... The colour turned out to be just a little darker than hoegaarden, although the spices and bitterness were pretty far off. I'll let you know how the judges like my beer ha ha ha.

If your beer tastes like a Hoegaarden then I'd call it a success! I think that the colour of the beer is secondary to taste when you're not trying to market it as a "witbier".

How much did you pull from the bottle, just the last bit? Did you just let it grow like you'd make a starter or did you do it with a petri dish, etc?

As I drank one I sanitized them, left about 1/2 inch beer in them, put a new cap on them and kept them in the fridge for a few days until I had enough to pitch. When I had a dozen I re sanitized the bottles, flamed the neck and poured all of them into my starter wort. A "normal" sized starter, then I stepped it up with more DME over the course of a few days.

I believe I ended up with 4 mason jars full.

Back