First all grain mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdezz

Reaction score
Everything was going great untill the boil. After 2 hours with the lid on I finally got a few bubbles coming to the top. Not eactly a rolling boil but i figured i'd drop in my hops and leave it covered for 15 mins. After 15 mins it foamed up so i removed the lid and went to watch tv. Checked back 15 mins later and although the beer is definatly simmering these's no mechanical action.

Experts out there...Is my beer gonna suck ass?

What are you cooking over that takes over 2 hrs to heat up ?
How did the hot break look, was there a good amount of trub after the boil?

To help with retaining the heat you need to insulate to exterior of the pot but a bigger burner is most likely needed.

Need more info as to what size burner and how big your boil pot is.

BTW if you're going all grain then you need to atleast have some kind of brew software that will tell you how long you need to boil the runnings/wort. This will definitely help out with future brews. Normally a brew with take about 60 minutes to boil (from start of boil to flameout) even when adding hops.

I'd check that burner out, and it seems to me as that's the problem.

My kettle is a keg altered in the usual way and it is obvious now that my burner is a pile of crap and is definely the problem.

I hit my OG bang on after my first ever mash and sparge which was nice and now the beer is fermenting away. But do you think its even worth keeping when it never actually boiled? It was at 194 degree fahrenheit for about 3 hours when it was supposed to be at a rolling boil for 90 mins. I crash cooled it about 30 mins and pitched the yeast after aeration. The beer is very cloudy but I guess thats due to the lack of a decent boil.

How crap will this beer be should I run it down the drain???

Never throw it out, wait and see what it tastes like, it may be alright, and if you don't like, give it to the in-laws, or better yet if you know anyone with a still you can run it through.

I have trouble with my burner on windy days. I need to make some kind of shield. I have seen folks make one out of flashing. Was it windy?

Back