3 Gallon Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing beers for a short while now, and would like to try a batch of wine for the significant other. I'd like to keep the first go-around simple, probably a higher end Riesling kit. The problem I am having is finding a smaller kit. Especially being my first attempt, I'd really rather end up with 15 bottles versus what seems to be the standard 30 (6 gal)... is there anywhere I can buy half batch kits?

What you're looking for likely isn't available in the US. Almost all kit manufacturers have what's called "specialty wine kits" that come in three gallon sizes of pure juice. These will be sweet dessert style wines like the one the previous poster mentioned.

You can always try the Alexander's concentrates that come in cans and require about two cans for a 3-gallon batch. They wouldn't fall under the "premium" category though.

In that case, does anyone have a good Riesling recipe that I could just buy the ingredients without a kit and come out with a good quality beverage?

And still keep it relatively simple for the first go-around.....?

I havent personally used a whine kit at all. When ever the call to whine has taken me i have simply fallowed a very very simple recipe

X gallons of fresh unpasturized juice (bought from the local organic food store for more money then god normally 8-15$ per gallon)

input required number of camp tabs for treatment

research yeast to use while treating, and purchase as well as assemble any aditives required (citic acid, tan, or etc) and input those as well.

Pinch yeast when required and keep track.

Made a great batch of cherry champagne this way, as well as 3 other wines which got good reviews from friends and family. you might just try keeping it simple as that, rather then trying to find a kit that can match your requested volume... or if your uncomfortable with that then buy a full kit and cut it in half...

cheers

In that case, does anyone have a good Riesling recipe that I could just buy the ingredients without a kit and come out with a good quality beverage?

And still keep it relatively simple for the first go-around.....?

I'd still go with Alexander's Riesling concentrate and follow the recipe on the can. Since you can only make Riesling wine from Riesling grapes this is really your only option outside of a kit unless you have access to Riesling grapes or juice. Try using Lalvin K1V-1116 or Red Star Côte des Blancs yeasts and it should make you a decent batch of Riesling.

Back