The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any tips for dough? I am using my oven with a stone to cook. I just always seem to have too sticky of dough, and after making 5-6 pizzas, I haven't really found a recipe that works for me. The pizza is edible, but I am definitely not proud of it.

Here is the recipe I have been using:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp olive oil in the dough, and coating the bowl it rises in with 2 tsp.

It has been a hit or miss. Should I stick to use bread flour? I have also been cooking it on parchment paper. Just having a hard time getting the dough to cooperate.
I tend to use the following recipe:
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

For me the biggest thing that helped me avoid getting too sticky was avoiding overworking the dough. If you don't knead enough, it'll be uneven and cracker-like, but if you knead too much, the dough becomes unworkable and sticky. Find that happy medium. As for me, I use an oiled pan instead of a stone. It's not as fluffy or as even that way, but I find it more convenient.

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips for dough? I am using my oven with a stone to cook. I just always seem to have too sticky of dough, and after making 5-6 pizzas, I haven't really found a recipe that works for me. The pizza is edible, but I am definitely not proud of it.

1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water

It has been a hit or miss. Should I stick to use bread flour? I have also been cooking it on parchment paper. Just having a hard time getting the dough to cooperate.

That hydration percentage is high. Not terribly high but it stands to reason your dough should be a bit sticky and tough to work with. We would need more details about your process and to know what you are unhappy with result wise to really diagnose anything. You could use the recipe as is and go with the "in vogue" no knead cold ferment combo. Less handling means less headache dealing with sticky fingers, plus the dough will set a bit in the fridge. You still need to make sure your ingredients are mixed properly, as Mainer said. People keep understating that point. Or, just incrementally increase your flour until you are happy. I think going up a quarter or half a cup would be fine. For a cup and a half of liquid I would use 3 3/4c. and my dough tends to be on the tacky side. FWIW

Those greens look like they could have spent a minute under the broiler :)

Good food!

Actually they had just that. Ran that pie again yesterday and gave it a minute and a half. Liked it better. I just want to avoid when the greens turn rubbery. They do keep the cheese covered so it is able to take longer under the broiler without blackening to quickly. Plus the pine nuts were under just enough to toast. Really nice. Make three pies but no pics because I was entertaining.

1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water

Get a kitchen scale that can measure in grams and do all your measurements by mass, not volume. The difference between a perfect hydration dough and one that is too wet or too dry is surprisingly little volume of flour.

Actually they had just that. Ran that pie again yesterday and gave it a minute and a half. Liked it better. I just want to avoid when the greens turn rubbery. They do keep the cheese covered so it is able to take longer under the broiler without blackening to quickly. Plus the pine nuts were under just enough to toast. Really nice. Make three pies but no pics because I was entertaining.

I like to finish the pie and top it with dressed greens (a little vinaigrette). No cooking the greens. It's like a salad with your pizza.

1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water

Others have said it and I will too. Use a digital scale to measure ingredients.
Use instant yeast. The packet yeast cannot be trusted. Omit the oil except a drop in the bowl that is then rubbed to uniformly cover the surface to improve release of dough. If using olive oil, use light, not extra virgin, or another high smoke point oil like peanut or canola.

Oil will inhibit gluten formation. Do not use it mixed into the dough.
I had same problem, and it is a learning curve you must conquer.

I suggest that you invest in a digital scale that you can read while a large bowl rests on top, and a pack of SAF instant yeast and an airtight acrylic storage container to keep it in. It will last you a year or more in your pantry and does not need to be proofed, add dry directly to dough.

Next head to pizza making.com and look for their dough tools page and find the formula or calculator for Lehman pizza dough or something like that. Use the suggested ranges. Omit the sugar too. http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html

Mix the flour and water only and only until ther flour / dough is no longer dry. Do not knead.

Let rest for 45 minutes. Add the salt and yeast, and repeat the mixing until uniform. Rest 90 minutes.

From here you can form into balls and refrigerate overnight, or up to three days, or bulk ferment in the fridge, forming balls the night before or morning of your intended baking day.

I suspect your biggest problem is that it's nearly impossible to accurately measure flour by volume and your hydration is all over the place from one batch to the next. I had the same problem.

If you like, you can also get a sack of high gluten flour, such as all-trumps brand for under $20 from a food service supply. SAMs club by me doesn't carry it, but I have a buddy at a restaurant who gets for me from time to time, Store it in homer buckets, with airtight lids. Otherwise King Arthur bread flour will make fine pizza dough.

Good luck

TD

The past few years I've been using Honeyville Grain AP Unbleached flour. I buy 50# bags and they have flat rate UPS shipping. I've had very good results with it.

I find 1/3 C water per 1 C flour is plenty of hydration making a soft easily worked dough. I only use olive oil after kneading to oil the dough ball against drying while rising. A 3 C flour batch takes a tsp. salt, a little sugar, tsp. to T. I buy bulk yeast so a rounded tsp.

I love this thread.

Last edited:
Pizza cheese. I remember years ago getting #10 cans of shredded pizza cheese. Right now I'm thinking it was 'Luigi's" and in a red and white can. It had to be refrigerated I think.

Anyone know of this? I can't find it anywhere and maybe it is long gone. It was a pretty good snack bar type cheese that could easily be doctored up.

Thursday night is Pizza night! also cinqo de Mayo... no prob! Taco Pizza! ( with a Neapolitan as a backup!) The taco one went low and slow!!!, went all out for the Neapolitan...

2016-05-05 18.44.33.jpg

2016-05-05 18.59.24.jpg

2016-05-05 18.53.30.jpg

2016-05-05 18.59.36.jpg

The past few years I've been using Honeyville Grain AP Unbleached flour. I buy 50# bags and they have flat rate UPS shipping. I've had very good results with it.

I find 1/3 C water per 1 C flour is plenty of hydration making a soft easily worked dough. I only use olive oil after kneading to oil the dough ball against drying while rising. A 3 C flour batch takes a tsp. salt, a little sugar, tsp. to T. I buy bulk yeast so a rounded tsp.

I love this thread.

I like the way you think. I used to buy 50# sacks in college for bread and pizza dough in bread machine. Lots of bread eating, eating it like a frigging werewolf in the middle of the night. Heres the recipe i use i think our dry altitude matters in water usage. . This is from bread machine cookbook. Not sure ever made whole recipe usually dont have lemon and dry milk.

View attachment 1462510503633.jpg

Thursday night is Pizza night! also cinqo de Mayo... no prob! Taco Pizza! ( with a Neapolitan as a backup!) The taco one went low and slow!!!, went all out for the Neapolitan...

I want one! Do you think my steel on the grill could work to replicate

Pesto pizza with red peppers, olives, broccoli, and feta cheese. And also with my latest brew.
We made a second pizza, too, a white pizza with mushroom and cauliflower.
13139216_10207877839076656_8768437045942066313_n.jpg

Great quote in your signature. SWMBO is from Maine... there's a lot of Pro-Maine/Boston in this California household... #GKG

We have that same pig cutting board to... hmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks @cannman...

Off to the restaurant supply store... Also more practice stretching and shaping the dough is in order. Good thing the fam likes pizza!

Dough is rising and I remembered olives this morning when I got gas. Forgot onions so I just harvested some chives, should work fine.

Thursday night is Pizza night! homemade pepperoni, sopressata and mozz, onions, green olives and some basil from the garden... couple buffalo wings with that and we're ready for hockey game...

2016-05-12 18.34.16.jpg

2016-05-12 18.48.36.jpg

2016-05-12 18.48.46.jpg

2016-05-12 18.55.09.jpg

Can i come over on Thursdays? Super cool tradition and nice pies. Is that a gas-fired piece of metal in there or stone. I was going to build a real Brick Oven but went with the steel instead but now crave that heat

it's called Blackstone patio oven,. gas fired, 2 stones, bottom one rotating ( hooked up to a rotisserie motor) can do 800/900f+ easy.... gonna have a real wood fired oven one day... but for now the Blackstone fulfill my pizza needs with flying colors...!

Just got my Blackstone and love it. Used to make pizza in my Kamado Joe, but keeping a constant temp was difficult. So much easier with the Blackstone. Made 4 Neapolitan pies last weekend that were the best I've ever made. Launched them from anywhere between 700 and 800F. Definitely could get the Blackstone hotter. Need to make a higher hydration dough if I want to go to higher temps. Also, to icebob, Let's Go Bluuuuuues!

I can get a #25 sack of HG for less than a #3 sack and my chef shop. For those that buy sacks, any recommendations for storage. Was thinking I'd buy a "homer" bucket with the upgrade lid. Good enough? I imagine the sack will take months to go thru.

it's called Blackstone patio oven,. gas fired, 2 stones, bottom one rotating ( hooked up to a rotisserie motor) can do 800/900f+ easy.... gonna have a real wood fired oven one day... but for now the Blackstone fulfill my pizza needs with flying colors...!

Thank you so much for responding. So just to be clear the propane Heats a stone. How hot do you think a couple of fire breaks could get on a grill I'm not totally against buying a Blackstone but want to consider other options i like it hot!

Made some dough last night in the bread machine and I'm going to probably make pizza tonight. Need some help from my brilliant brethren and sistren. When I use the bread machine I usually watch over it at first to make sure it's not too wet or too dry but lately I'm thinking too wet might make a better dough because of fermenting and/or it makes it easier for the bread machine to mix any thoughts on this. Am I using fermenting correctly in this scenario it's a really wet dough that Sits in the fridge overnight. Also Once the dough has been chilled overnight do I just pulled it out and flour It and Roll It or do I roll it and let it rise. How thick do you like to roll it , you guys know I've made a lot of pizza and have posted plenty here but just want to shore up a little on my technique thanks

The first one I made no picture, had a paper thin crust that was like a cracker, the medium thickness was perfect light and Airy the thick crust not so much. I had trouble getting the big one done because we don't have a peel large enough to make it. All mozzarella and cheddar cheese one with American slices, one with pork butt and one with well you see. Usually get the Steel hot then make a bunch of personal size

View attachment 1463446292325.jpg

View attachment 1463446301167.jpg

View attachment 1463446310698.jpg

View attachment 1463446321028.jpg

Thursday night is Pizza night! homemade pepperoni, sopressata and mozz, onions, green olives and some basil from the garden... couple buffalo wings with that and we're ready for hockey game...

Tell me more about this homemade pepperoni, sopressata and mozzarella!!!

Also, tell me about that pepper sauce in the squeeze bottle!!!

Looking GOOD!

TD

Tell me more about this homemade pepperoni, sopressata and mozzarella!!!

Also, tell me about that pepper sauce in the squeeze bottle!!!

Looking GOOD!

TD

For the pepperoni and sopressata, check Umai dry bag, really easy to make your own charcuterie http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-umai-charcuterie.php
Mozzarella is the easiest cheese to make, just youtube 30 minutes mozzarella, the hardest part is to find good milk!

Good eye on the squeeze bottle:D this is from TXCraig at pizzamaking forum, I will not eat a pizza without drizzling this on it!
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19368.msg189521#msg189521

Thread HiJack......Interesting product (Umai dry sausage/charcuterie/salumi kits). #icebob
So does it really work? Shows you place the sausages after stuffing in casings into a fridge after the fermentation stage. Traditional methods require you regulate the humidity and airflow and temperature during the fermentation stage (about 48-72 hours), then slowly lower temp and humidity (to prevent case hardening) and measure weight before and after to obtain proper dehydration (you can read this in the book also offered there about fermented sausages).
To do this at home often requires specialized equipment. Doing this in your fridge with temps below 40º and generally a lower RH% than a traditional dry cure process, I would worry you would end up with case hardening, and immature sausages with retarded acidification due to the mixed species in the Bactoferm culture. Please share your experience with this product and some details/photos or a link to a new thread about it. I've been working on building a dry cure chamber in my spare time for over a year, and its about 90-95% finished.

Thanks for sharing!
TD

I'm not a scientist, I've been using the Umai drybag for aging full slab of rib eye in the fridge with awesome result ( I usually do 35 days) . I just acquire an extra fridge for an aging chamber. It was just natural for me to try the charcuterie kit. Is it the best way to make salumi? Probably not, Does it produce a decent product? Definitely yes. Nobody ever complained after eating one of my pie about the process I used to make the pepperoni/sopressata that I put on it, they just say it's frikkin good! Fine with me. Will I produce better salumi when my aging chamber is build, absolutely. In the mean time I will continue to use the bags cause I like the final product. I first hear of this technique on my smoking forum, here's a link to to one of the thread that made me curious to try those bags.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2922.0

Thursday night, pizza night! pimped out Hawaiian(smoked ham, Canadian bacon, bacon, pineapple, fresh mozz and smoked Monterrey jack) and buffalo chicken (grilled chicken tossed in wing sauce, bacon, orange bell pepper, green onions, fresh mozz and smoked Monterrey jack, half blue cheese, half ranch)

2016-05-19 17.54.02.jpg

2016-05-19 18.04.06.jpg

2016-05-19 18.04.12.jpg

2016-05-19 18.04.19.jpg

Back