Any good alternatives to Pt100 RTD ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot are using stuff off ebay from China.
You can get RTD's for around $20 and PID around $30.

Quality isnt top notch, but certainly acceptable.

After doing some research on this I found that it was best to just spend the money on a good PID and RTD so I went with auberins and tried to cut some corners elsewhere. They have good quality products and a great reputation for customer service if you need it. Since I didn't really know what I was doing when I jumped in I just spent the money to make sure I did it right.

Amazon has some watertight rtd probes off and on:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Waterproof-Thermistor-Sensor-Temperature/dp/B008YP1D04/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358262280&sr=8-2&keywords=rtd+waterproof
The problem is that they appear to be regular straight machine thread and not pipe thread, so getting them to seal with be more difficult. The other caveat is that they dont come with any disconnects, so you have a fragile wire hanging off of your brew vessel(s) and will likely be damaged. You could solder in some fittings like XLR connectors or something similar, but you still have to deal with odd threads(thread pitch/size isnt even mentioned in the listing). As far as PID's go, auberins is worth the extra few bucks. Their support along with the fact that they are widely used here will help you figure things out if you arent a control theory expert. Also, some models from ebay or amazon only display Celcius and do not have manual control override like you would want on a boil kettle.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Waterproof-Thermistor-Sensor-Temperature/dp/B008YP1D04/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358262280&sr=8-2&keywords=rtd+waterproof
The problem is that they appear to be regular straight machine thread and not pipe thread, so getting them to seal with be more difficult. The other caveat is that they dont come with any disconnects, so you have a fragile wire hanging off of your brew vessel(s) and will likely be damaged. You could solder in some fittings like XLR connectors or something similar, but you still have to deal with odd threads(thread pitch/size isnt even mentioned in the listing). As far as PID's go, auberins is worth the extra few bucks. Their support along with the fact that they are widely used here will help you figure things out if you arent a control theory expert. Also, some models from ebay or amazon only display Celcius and do not have manual control override like you would want on a boil kettle.

Thanks a lot. That's a good find for a 2" RTD probe.

Can't believe I didn't see it. $10/each with s&h vs. $45 plus has that steel mesh on each wire. Just need to find a good silicone o-ring for it since it doesn't say.

Ordered 2. Will see. I will get the controllers from Auberins.

I bought one of these and because of the afore mentioned issues, I ended up buying the Auber deluxe ones to actually use; I have no idea what you're actually supposed to screw these Amazon ones into -they don't fit into anything that I own. The way I look at it, I'm just using it as a backup RTD in case one of my existing one fails...

Adam

I bought one of these and because of the afore mentioned issues, I ended up buying the Auber deluxe ones to actually use; I have no idea what you're actually supposed to screw these Amazon ones into -they don't fit into anything that I own. The way I look at it, I'm just using it as a backup RTD in case one of my existing one fails...

Adam

What do you mean they dont fit into anything you own, is it not 1/2" ?

It comes with a nut, I don't see a high temperature silicone ring. The $70 difference is worth a little scramble. at least so I hope.

No, the threads look WAY to coarse to be NPT, and they arent tapered, as I mentioned above. If it comes with a nut, you can insert them weldless style with a gasket or o-ring, but they wont thread into any NPT fittings or bulkheads. But for the price, its worth a try if you are looking to save some money. you can but silicone gasket material in sheets and use tube or anything round with an edge to make custom gaskets that are a bit more robust than o-rings. using a stainless washer will also help make things a but more stable when mounting. Just make sure you use a magnet to test the nut that comes with the probe to make sure its stainless...you dont want zinc plated stuff in your brew!

No, the threads look WAY to coarse to be NPT, and they arent tapered, as I mentioned above. If it comes with a nut, you can insert them weldless style with a gasket or o-ring, but they wont thread into any NPT fittings or bulkheads. But for the price, its worth a try if you are looking to save some money. you can but silicone gasket material in sheets and use tube or anything round with an edge to make custom gaskets that are a bit more robust than o-rings. using a stainless washer will also help make things a but more stable when mounting. Just make sure you use a magnet to test the nut that comes with the probe to make sure its stainless...you dont want zinc plated stuff in your brew!

I will definetely check them with a magnet. Would be insane not too. Thansk for input idea of custom gasket. Where did you see sheets of food grade silicone ?

I did a quick search on amazon "sheet food grade silicone" but pulls cookware.

yes that looks like a 1/4-20 thread. So basically you will need to make the seal using a gasket/oring, or silver solder into a pipe fitting.

I got a $10 waterproof rtd and stick it into the mash. It is cheap and effective. Auberins has some similar for a few bucks more.

Getting a sheet of silicone gasket material can be expensive if you have to buy a big sheet...kind of undoes the cost savings of buying the amazon probe. Ive seen those silicone pan liners used before. you can also try auto parts stores...as far as I know if its 100% silicone, it is food safe. Just the sponge rubbers that you have to look out for.

There's an eBay retailer who sells PT100s with good specs and 1/2" NPT fittings for not much more than what you'd pay for a thermowell. Search for "RTD PT100 with Terminal Head".

That amazon one does look like 1/4"x20 thread. For the price I would just get a brass or stainless 1/2" NPT plug and just drill and tap a hole for the 1/4" probe. It would be an easy 10 min job and only add $5 for the plug.

That amazon one does look like 1/4"x20 thread. For the price I would just get a brass or stainless 1/2" NPT plug and just drill and tap a hole for the 1/4" probe. It would be an easy 10 min job and only add $5 for the plug.

Not sure what kind of plug you meant...

As far as silicone sheet goes I found some on ebay, it's not a shee per say, its 3+ diameter circle 1/8" I think it does look pretty good for what I need as need.

Not sure what kind of plug you meant...

As far as silicone sheet goes I found some on ebay, it's not a shee per say, its 3+ diameter circle 1/8" I think it does look pretty good for what I need as need.

ssplug-500x500.jpg

just drill and tap a hole and wrap the thread in Teflon and no gasket needed.

Thanks a lot. That's a good find for a 2" RTD probe.

Can't believe I didn't see it. $10/each with s&h vs. $45 plus has that steel mesh on each wire. Just need to find a good silicone o-ring for it since it doesn't say.

Ordered 2. Will see. I will get the controllers from Auberins.

When you receive this, can you let me know if it's 1/4-20 threads? If so that would be a direct replacement for what I currently have in my HEX.

Here's a follow up. I got the temp sensors today. they look pretty good. I don't know if the threading is NPT or not here is the picture.

I am thinking that two washers and two small silicone gaskets would work great.

Temp%2520Sensor.JPG

No that looks like M8 (or like a 3/8" UNC?). Also, the nut is a sure sign of a straight thread.

You may want to silver solder to a pipe fitting, or you will need to seal with a gasket/oring & washer

I am not familiar with the threading standards but the way the construction is was probably meant for a weldless application.

Where can I find more on threading and if I use some teflon tape won't that be enough to prevent any leaking ?

No that looks like M8 (or like a 3/8" UNC?). Also, the nut is a sure sign of a straight thread.

You may want to silver solder to a pipe fitting, or you will need to seal with a gasket/oring & washer

I have seen this from someone else and I believe it to be true that the teflon tape is only for lubrication to keep the threads from galling and does not provide a seal.

The Teflon will seal the threads. You might need to experiment with how many wraps it needs. It looks like M8x1.25 threads. You might be able to use a locknut with the nylon inside. That might seal up the thread.

Update: I got the Auber PID and two of these. However as you can see my review on amazon the nut does't react to a hdd magnet but the probe slightly does - not as it would be made out of iron iron but there is some a magnetic force present.

Do the probe has iron inside. I will run the same check on the Thermometer I got for the kegs (I have two dials thermometers )

I will definitely check them with a magnet. Would be insane not too. Thanks for input idea of custom gasket. Where did you see sheets of food grade silicone ?

I did a quick search on amazon "sheet food grade silicone" but pulls cookware.

Back