Water Profile Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've brewed 2 extract batches, about to go batch number 3 on Sunday. My first one turned out pretty bad, didn't use temperature control because the homebrew shop said it wasn't important, so it sat at 78 degree room temp fermenting.

Next batch was temp controlled in a swamp cooler, turned out drinkable at least but still had a very similar taste to the first batch. Used muntons yeast with a homebrew shops kit on the first 2, but I have US 05 for this one and a True Brew Pale Ale kit with a fermenting freezer so I really want this one to turn out good. Should I use distilled water, bottled water, or is tap water ok? My water profile the city sent me is:

Lead 4 ppb
Copper 0.1 ppm
Fluoride 0.59 ppm
Nitrate/Nitrite 0.24 ppm
Chlorite 0.55 ppm
Total Trihalomethanes 29 ppb
Haloacetic Acids 29 ppb
Total organic carbon 41.33% removed
Total Coliform Bacteria 1.59%
Chloramine 2.7ppm
Chlorine Dioxide 127 ppb

Thanks and any suggestions would be most appreciated!

You need more information to really know your water profile (chloride, sulfate, alkalinity, calcium), but ANY chloramine has to go.

There are a couple of things to do. One is to buy bottled water at the store. The other is to get your brewing water ready the night before (ALL water!) and add 1/2 campden tablet to 10 gallons. That will get rid of the chloramine.

You need more information to really know your water profile (chloride, sulfate, alkalinity, calcium), but ANY chloramine has to go.

There are a couple of things to do. One is to buy bottled water at the store. The other is to get your brewing water ready the night before (ALL water!) and add 1/2 campden tablet to 10 gallons. That will get rid of the chloramine.

Hmm thats all the city sent me so I may just skip out on the tap water then. So bottled water would be better than distilled in an extract batch?

Hmm thats all the city sent me so I may just skip out on the tap water then. So bottled water would be better than distilled in an extract batch?

With extract, it really doesn't matter if the bottled water is spring, distilled or R/O, but I prefer spring since it has some minerals that the others lack. I use spring water for most all of my beers because our tap water here in incredibly inconsistent. Yesterday, it had a tan tint coming out of the tap. Again, with extract it's not important, the extract will have the minerals already.

Latest posts

Back