AG wort isn't settling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed an all-grain Ginger wheat last night, and ended up dumping the entire contents of the brew kettle into the fermenter (hops, trub, ginger, etc.). I poured two jars of washed Wyeast 1056 in and placed the fermenter in a swamp cooler which I have kept at about 70 F. It's been almost 24 hours and there is no fermentation activity (which can be normal), but the fermenter is still very thick with particles. There is a small layer of clear wort on top, but the rest is still super cloudy. Will this settle with time? Or should I find another way to cool the wort? I also used Whirlfloc during the boil. Any thoughts?:mug:

I would bet it will settle with time. I brewed 2 AG batches today, one with a bunch of trub. So far, over 10 years, the trub has settled, after about 2 weeks.

My guess is once the fermentation starts, it will probably even get cloudier. I just watched an ale of mine the other day LITERALLY look like there was an impeller embedded in it, because it was so turbulent and moving around so much. you'd swear someone had a mixmaster inside it.

of course that was actually about a week ago. it's completely still ATM.

Brewed a batch of Amber Thursday, had stuff floating toward the top, just under the krausen, until this morning. Looks like it is all settling to the bottom, as expected. Give it a few days and it should be okay.

If it doesnt settle within a month...try a cold crash. All kidding aside you're fine...what looks ugly cloudy can clear brilliantly w/ time.

Back