Advice on strange situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
I've noob-brewed myself into an interesting situation and would appreciate some advice.

Situation: I brewed Biermuncher's AG centennial blonde yesterday but b/c I have a cheap analog scale my hop measurements were waaaaay too big and it's bitter as heck. It was only a 4-gal batch and yielded about 3.6gal in fermenter (it's getting shredded by S-04 now). OG was only a point high. All other numbers were surprisingly good.

Today i'ma brew a 3-gal batch with really low hops" ferment it separately, then blend the two for bottling.

Questions:
1) with AG, is a 60-min boil absolutely necessary? I'd like to boil 30-40 mins only, using 2-3 pellets at start of boil, then adding only 15- and 5- min hops.
2) would it be a disaster to add the new wort with a fresh starter of yeast to the already fermenting batch? I can chill the wort to 63 to match the fermenter temp, and I do have room in the fermenter but have never heard of such an addition.
3) is this whole idea just stupid?

Thanks for any input!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

good idea... i would wait till both are done to add them together. I wouldn't skip the 60 min boil... you are removing some chemicals with the steam and precipitating the proteins, as i understand anyway.

Other option... is to let it age and the hops will mellow some

I'd let the first beer ferment out before deciding to brew another batch to blend with it. Tasting unfermented, flat and warm beer, its hard for me to predict what the final beer will taste like.

Well, a 60 minute boil may not be nesccesary. Once you achieve the hot break, the rest of the boil is mostly for hop additions. You do boil off some sulfur compounds, but you could do a 30-40 min boil without problems I would think. As stated above, I would ferment seperately and blend later.

Pre-fermented beer almost always tastes more bitter than the finished product... especially a beer like a Blonde Ale. I say screw the blend, let your beer ferment out, and enjoy it for what it is :)

Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm going to sort of split the difference. I'm brewing a second batch but will wait as suggested to see how the bitterness plays out. Cheers!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Back