Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogie1980

Reaction score
Trying to make a gluten-free beer using what's available from my local Bulk Barn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 Gallon batch

Malted quinoa - 2.5lbs
Turbinado - 1lb
Instant rice - 1lb
Toasted Buckwheat (Kasha) - 1lb

Nugget - 1oz @60mins
Cascade - 0.5oz @5mins

Safale 05 yeast

Ok. I'll knock the bittering hops in half to get it closer to 20 IBUs. Going to brew Thursday. Will mash the quinoa, rice and buckwheat together and then add the sugar to the boil.

Ok. I'll knock the bittering hops in half to get it closer to 20 IBUs. Going to brew Thursday. Will mash the quinoa, rice and buckwheat together and then add the sugar to the boil.

Jump on this calculator and plug in your bittering hops.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/ibu.php

Does all the calculations for you. I always add an extra gram or so to the bittering addition.

Well this was a miserable failure... I doughed in the quinoa, buckwheat and instant rice @40C, then raised to 70C and held for an hour. Unfortunately, there was no conversion as the SG was 1.005!

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

I'd maybe try a 24 hour mash with some enzymes just in case. You'll probably get slightly better conversion. I brewed a 2.5 gallon beer with 3 lbs malted buckwheat, 1 lb blackened rice, and 1 lb chestnuts and got an og, minus the sugar, of 1.024. So I got some conversion. I think when brewing anything gf, we don't have the advantage of highly enzymatic barley. Malting the grains only helps so much. Do keep in mind you only had 2.5 lbs of malted grains. The rice and toasted buckwheat will only really provide flavor. There was a post somewhat recently about using a slew of enzymes to convert unmalted grains. I haven't tried this, but in theory it could work. The only problem with that process is that it may be missing some chemical process in the conversion of barley that we don't know about. Anyway, I'd try more malted grains, enzymes, and a longer mash.

Back