dry hop for belgian tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
sorry, but i posted this elsewhere and got no feedback. i brewer a tripel and it got too hot, leaving way too much banana esters. it's been in the keg for ~4 months already and it's still a little too much to be enjoyable. i was curious if dry hopping it with some nice hops would help with the esters or at least cover them up some. does this sound practical? what type/quantity of hops would you recommend? thanks.

Personally, for me hop aroma tends to clash with highly esthery / phenolic beers. It is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of belgo-ipas.

I have never tried using hops to cover up something so long after kegging, so I don't know how that would work out. I will let someone more knowledgeable tackle that.

There are only two things I can think of to help alter the flavor, one would be to blend it with another beer and the other to add a couple of pounds of honey to the keg. I hope this helps, but would love to hear other ideas.

Back