Avery The Reverend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Ok I have been brewing for 5 years not and just now getting hooked on big dark complex Belgians..what took me so long:cross:. So I have my Belgian Golden Strong in my primary now and looking to make a nice big QUAD to go on top of the cake..say 10% range carmel roasty fruity, nutty..u name it big and complex..I very much enjoy The Reverend and it is between the Reverend and Jamil's Quad which also got great reviews..

So The Rev: 5 malts: Pils, Special B, Aromatic, Munuch, Caramunich, dark candy???

I have both Abbey 2, and Belgian strong yeast strains so I will have a double version Quad..The Rev is very smooth and a bit sweet but tasty. Anyone brew Jamils gold medal winning Quad?

Jay

Personally, I wouldn't put my Quad on top of the yeast cake from a Belgian Golden Strong. The BGS is a big, high alcohol beer. Those are some stressed out yeast cells that I wouldn't want to trust by nice new Quad wort to. I've got no problem with pitching on a yeast cake, but I'd want to do it from a 1.050 or under beer.

Just my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't put my Quad on top of the yeast cake from a Belgian Golden Strong. The BGS is a big, high alcohol beer. Those are some stressed out yeast cells that I wouldn't want to trust by nice new Quad wort to. I've got no problem with pitching on a yeast cake, but I'd want to do it from a 1.050 or under beer.

Just my opinion.

HMMM I thought about that..but my golden strong was just at 1.07..and I stepped up and added the sugar after it was already in full form(the OG was around 1.065 before I added the candy sugar during full fermentation). I understand the logic..I also plan to make only 8 gallons..so 4 gallons onto each yeast cake..I also plan to add the candy sugar or belgian syrup once they are in full action as well...So the yeast really have been stepped up and will be stepped up for the quad as well. I believe this plus my oxygen methods should be fine and should ferment good..but again I have never made a quad but I would think this would work better than a big starter...
thoughts??
I have not worked out a recipe yet but was looking at 1.09 to 1.10 but the sugar would be added after a few days so in the range of 1.08 onto the yeast cake.

Jay

HMMM I thought about that..but my golden strong was just at 1.07..and I stepped up and added the sugar after it was already in full form(the OG was around 1.065 before I added the candy sugar during full fermentation).
Jay

There's a reason that the sugar is added after most of fermentation has happened, and that's because it changes the yeast's behavior when eating through sugars. Now that you've changed that yeast behavior so it isn't as good at munching malt sugars, why use it to munch malt sugars in a new batch?

I'm with mkling.
However, since you plan on doing 2 separate fermentations, why not pitch one to a small beer yeast cake, and the other to the GS yeast cake? Compare and contrast.

Another thing to think is from Brew Like a Monk. The belgians reuse high gravity yeast (of course with a faster turn around than most homebrewers), and they generally pitch less than americans, which can increase the yeast driven flavors.

i see your thoughts..I really just wanted to reuse the yeast in some way instead of wasting it..Would I be better off washing the yeast and building up again with a 1.05 starter for each and than pitching that? This way I can reuse the strain and work with more fresh healthy yeast and pitch the correct amount? In "brew like a monk" some brewerys pitch far less than americans but some pitch way over the top..temp control will have more control of the yeast flavors than pitch rate is the bottom line..what do you think?

J

There's a reason that the sugar is added after most of fermentation has happened, and that's because it changes the yeast's behavior when eating through sugars. Now that you've changed that yeast behavior so it isn't as good at munching malt sugars, why use it to munch malt sugars in a new batch?

I agree to this but most use candy sugar or other forms during boil so I think it has little affect and more to avoid stressing out the yeast than anything. The small amount of sugar has little affect on the yeast..however I do agree that washing will keep my pitching rate lower..in tern keep my ester profile where I want it to be. that being said the main question is anyone brew jamil's quad?:D

Latest posts

Back