Bourbon Oak Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://brewersconnection.com/recipes/whiskeystout.htm

The recipe is one that I've been digging around for. The only thing I disagree with is the "cheap bourbon" part. My philosophy is quality ingredients make quality beers... so I'll probably use Makers Mark or maybe Johnny Walker for a whiskey... any recommendations on the grain bill?

I agree on the bourbon issue. If you're going to do it, do it right. And really, the cost difference between 8oz some bottom shelf, crap bourbon and MM isn't going to have much effect on the final per bottle cost of the beer. Use the good stuff.

The grain bill looks freakin' tasty. Bookmarked for later contemplation.

I may be way out to lunch on this one, but isn't the principle pretty much the same as for mixed drinks? I don't know from personal experience, but I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference between crap bourbon and good bourbon in beer. Also, cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse than the expensive stuff. In fact, I would venture to say that you'd want a coarser bourbon because if it is too smooth, the character may not come out like you want it in the beer. Just my .02 and feel free to slap me around a bit if I am out in left field.

I may be way out to lunch on this one, but isn't the principle pretty much the same as for mixed drinks? I don't know from personal experience, but I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference between crap bourbon and good bourbon in beer. Also, cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse than the expensive stuff. In fact, I would venture to say that you'd want a coarser bourbon because if it is too smooth, the character may not come out like you want it in the beer. Just my .02 and feel free to slap me around a bit if I am out in left field.

Yes & no. Will you be able to tell the difference in beer, chances are slim but I bet there are some that could.

Will you be able to tell the difference when you are drinking what's left over, definitely.:)

Latest posts

Back