RIMS vs. HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onejdn

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of building a system and was wondering, what is the preferred system by those that have built similar systems. Are there any major advantages or disadvantages to either? Is there another "self-contained" system that you would recommend? :fro:

So I'm thinking of building a system and was wondering, what is the preferred system by those that have built similar systems. Are there any major advantages or disadvantages to either? Is there another "self-contained" system that you would recommend? :fro:

Damn! Where is my popcorn eating 'smilie' ?

Awe, shucks. Thanks for the props foppa. I was just going to tell the noob to use the search or get lost, but now I guess I can't say that, can I? :D

j/k

Yeah, I don't really have much to add. Spend some time looking around here. There are guys with automated RIMS, HERMS, direct-fire, steam, you name it. Some are probably a little more difficult (and dangerous IMO) to DIY, so pick something you feel comfortable with and go with it. I use direct-fire + recirculation and it works well for me.

I've seen most of the threads on the different systems, I was just wondering if there was a general preference for one over the other. what's the favorite

I guess that's just it - depends who you ask. The brutus 10 fans will tell you that direct-fire rocks. The steam fans are a bunch of steam fanatics that love to tinker with really weird dangerous stuff. The HERMS guys love their coils. And the BrewMagic wanna-bes are all about their enclosed heating coils.

Sorry, but I can't give you what you want. Just pick one that doesn't look above your DIY level, pricks your interest (for whatever reason) and go with it. Or... try them all and tell us which one is your favorite. Then you can answer the unanswerable question. ;)

thanks for the info. maybe it is the unanswerable question. I am guess I'm reluctant to spend time and money on a system if I think there is a better one out there. Maybe there will always be a better one out there.

thanks for the info. maybe it is the unanswerable question. I am guess I'm reluctant to spend time and money on a system if I think there is a better one out there. Maybe there will always be a better one out there.

Just like anything else, there will always be a better one available exactly 2.8 seconds after you have committed.

If you ALWAYS wait for the "better one" you'll never have anything, eh?

true, It's not really a question of which one makes better beer, but which one's easier or more convenient to use.

Back