Denny Conn's vanilla porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I stumbled upon more than one reference to this particular recipe and I think I'm going to give this a shot. For those familiar with this recipe I do have a couple of questions because I am seeing different versions of this recipe when I look around. I plan on a five gallon batch.

First, I have seen two different yeasts for this. One is Wyeast 1056. The other calls for White Labs Cal Ale WLP001. Any real difference here?

Second, one recipe called for 13 lbs 2-row, the other called for 11 lbs.

Third, one called for .75 magnum hops/1.0 goldings-east kent. The other recipe calls for .80 magnum/.50 goldings.

Last, one calls for 60 min mash, the other 75.

As always, any help is appreciated.

1056 and 001 are supposed to be the same strain.

At 70% efficiency, 13 pounds of base grain alone will give you a OG of 1.066 and the 11 pounds will be 1.056. I'm not sure which hop additions went with each recipe but your gravity is going to affect your hop utilization. I don't think it will be too noticeable because based on the information given, the recipes seem relatively close. I'm assuming the EKG addition is a late aroma addition so one recipe will just have a little more hop aroma.

I'm not sure how an additional 15 minutes is going to affect your mash. I wish I could help more but I noticed this thread in the Unanswered Threads section and thought I'd offer my 2 cents and get it bumped.

You are probably seeing two peoples slant on the same recipe. Different efficiencies account for the different grain bills or maybe the second brewer wants a slightly weaker brew,and different types of hops (pellets v flowers) may account for the differnce in amounts though more likely two people disagree on what they like. Don't sweat it, if you haven't a clue, average the amounts and see what happens.

Any brew with Denny Conn's name will have been cannibalised, bastardised and every other ised that is the want of homebrewers, so relax, have a brew, brew what you see fit and make notes of what you did and how it tasted.

I, too stumbled onto this recipe. The one I saw was 13lbs, 60 minute, 1z Magnum, .5z EKG AND bourbon. They called it: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. The recipe also called for oak chips(not in the original recipe) Charlie

I've actually been thinking about brewing this soon. As stated earlier the different amounts of base grain are due to different mash efficiencies and wlp001 and 1056 are the same yeast. The different amounts of the magnum hops are probably to compensate for the different AA values of those particular hops. I suppose the different amounts of EKG hops are just the brewer's personal preference on how much finishing hop character he wants. One other major difference I've seen in my research of the recipe is that some call for .5 lb of chocolate malt and others call for 1.25 pounds of chocolate malt. The most recent recipe I've seen from Denny Conn himself calls for 1.25 pounds (I found it on TastyBrew and it is dated from sometime in 2006). I've also heard many people who have made this recipe say that the bourbon comes through pretty strongly so you may consider starting out with a smaller amount and gradually adding it in small increments until it's where you like it. Hope that helps a little.

I am looking at brewing this recipe myself and I think the the difference may be related to the original recipe being for a 6gal batch. The other you have seen may be scaled down to 5 gal. Just a guess, but that 6gal size was throwing me off until a friend just pointed it out.

Here's a better one

Author: Denny Conn Dec 8th, 2006
3:48 pm
This is the recipe as brewed for this year's batch...

#264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.75
Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.58
Anticipated SRM: 45.4
Anticipated IBU: 31.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.75 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.52 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.5 1.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
2.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
14.1 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt (Durst) Germany 1.037 10
5.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
7.0 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.65 oz. Magnum-Domestic Whole 15.00 29.2 60 min.
0.40 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 2.6 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-56 Fermentis American Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs: 17.75
Total Water Qts: 23.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.13
Grain Temp: 65.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30

Total Water Qts: 23.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.17 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

Here's a better one

Author: Denny Conn Dec 8th, 2006
3:48 pm
This is the recipe as brewed for this year's batch...

#264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Uhhh, where's the Vanilla and Bourbon?:drunk:

Can someone interpret the recipe part that reads:

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30

The version I've used is most like the one niquejim posted (except more hops). It's also listed under my recipes. Great recipe that has a lot of room for experimentation IMO. Just brew it up and modify however you want next time. That's what makes homebrewing so great.

The version of the recipe that I have, in regards to the bourbon and vanilla says
"After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods
into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste p
eriodically for the correct balance. I left the beer in secondary for 11 da
ys. Rack to bottling bucket and add 10 ml. per pint of Jim Beam Black Bourb
on (or to your taste). Bottle, enjoy!"

My question is, when you cut open, and scrape 'the insides', do you put everything into the secondary, or just the quartered beans?

Yes, according to the recipe I copied (can't remember where from):

"Make sure you have fresh vanilla beans. If they seem old and crunchy, use more than 2. After primary, slit 2 vanilla beans open lengthwise. Scrape the "goop" out of the insides, chop the pods into quarters, add goop and pods to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste periodically for the correct balance. I left the beer in secondary for 11 days. Rack to bottling bucket and add 10 ml. per pint of Jim Beam Black Bourbon (or to your taste). Bottle, enjoy! Ready in 1 month."

The version of the recipe that I have, in regards to the bourbon and vanilla says
"After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods
into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste p
eriodically for the correct balance. I left the beer in secondary for 11 da
ys. Rack to bottling bucket and add 10 ml. per pint of Jim Beam Black Bourb
on (or to your taste). Bottle, enjoy!"

My question is, when you cut open, and scrape 'the insides', do you put everything into the secondary, or just the quartered beans?

Everthing goes in

Back