Using coriander, grains of paradise and sweet orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4ck37p1mp

Reaction score
I'm looking to duplicate / marry Sam Adams Summer Ale and Sweetwater's Hummer (for those around GA). SA has grains of paradise and lemon, hummer has coriander and orange, so I opted for sweet orange and both coriander and grains of paradise. Short of all out experimentation, I'm looking for ideas as to when I should add these various additives. I was figuring the last 10-20 minutes of the boil as I've read that for the grains of paradise. Wasn't sure about the others, but I figured they must be similar.

I was figuring the last 10-20 minutes of the boil as I've read that for the grains of paradise.

Surely, no more than 10 minutes. You can easily check it during the boil - if you can smell the spices - it's all wasted.
Personally, I add spices 3 to 0 minutes before end of the boil.

You should add them within the last 5 minutes of the boil. Otherwise you'll boil away the very things you want to infuse.

I recently did an Orange Coriander Hefe. I just threw the crushed coriander and skin from an orange that I sliced off with a potato peeler into secondary. Great flavor and aroma from both the coriander and orange peel. I haven't used grains of paradise though, so I can't really add much there.

Last five minutes of the boil. I used GOP in a wheat beer recently, it came out really, really nice. My next batch will use both the GOP and some sweet orange peel; the GOP has a real nice, citrusy flavor to it (along with the peppery spiciness) that I think will be quite complementary.

Latest posts

Back