Need Some Pots Punched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschafer

Reaction score
Afternoon.

I need someone in Colorado that can punched various holes into three 20 gal pots for me.

Does anyone have contact info of someone or shop they have worked with that does/did an excellent job?

If you're just looking to punch holes, have you thought about doing it yourself?

You could get the proper sized knockout punch and drill a small hole so that you can insert it. Once you have the hole drilled, it's pretty easy even for manual knockout. Pretty clean too. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428933489.443132.jpg

I was wary of doing this myself but watched a few YouTube videos and went for it. It turned out well.

Do you need punched? Or can you drill? 3/4" metal drill bit is rather expensive, but if it is something smaller like a 1/4" or 1/2" hole, tungsten carbide bits for that aren't that bad.

Do you need punched? Or can you drill? 3/4" metal drill bit is rather expensive, but if it is something smaller like a 1/4" or 1/2" hole, tungsten carbide bits for that aren't that bad.

Step drill bit is what I used on mine, the bits are not cheap ($35-$50).

I got one off Amazon for $12 and drilled holes in my pot.

I got mine from McClendons hardware, great hardware store, but I probably did not need such a high grade bit (how many pots will I end up drilling anyway?). Twelve bucks is a lot easier to swallow.

Cheers

I got mine from McClendons hardware, great hardware store, but I probably did not need such a high grade bit (how many pots will I end up drilling anyway?). Twelve bucks is a lot easier to swallow.

Cheers

That. But, at least if it is a bit you can use over and over again, I don't know that I'd consider $30-40 a steep price. If you had different sized holes so you needed to buy 3-4 different bits, okay, that sucks. If it is just a single bit, that isn't that bad.

Unless the pots are free, I assume they'd be a heck of a lot more than the cost of even an expensive drill bit.

Also personally, my time is worth a fair amount. Even $30 and drilling it myself is worth a lot over possibly spending a couple of hours driving around and maybe waiting at a shop for them to punch/drill it for me (and since I doubt it would be free for them to do it).

Just my 2 cents.

Here's a deal from Homebrewfinds: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=as2&tag=hombrefin-20&linkId=PODDXTUE54TDONWN

Locate the spot and centerpunch it, drill with a small bit to create a hole, then use the step bit, lubricate while drilling.

If you're handy, it's not too bad. If not, get a friend who is.

I have this step bit, same mfr., about $10 on Amazon. I've drilled about a half dozen holes with it so far and it's still sharp as ever. Go slow (~200 RPM), and keep oil on it. I used a drill press, but a good handheld electric drill would do fine.

Cheers

Hey that's my local hardware store!

But I bought my step bits from Harbor Freight on sale. They work great.

Locate the spot and centerpunch it, drill with a small bit to create a hole, then use the step bit, lubricate while drilling.

If you're handy, it's not too bad. If not, get a friend who is.

This is what I did, except I used a knockout punch instead of a step bit. IMO the knockout punch is easier, quicker, and cleaner.

I wouldn't say I'm extremely handy, but I like to tinker with things. I also never let my husband touch power tools, lol.

easy do self if hole size is 7.62mm, 9mm, 22mm, 38caliber, 44caliber, 45 caliber etc. etc.

Just how thin are your pots? I might be able to drill a 7.62mm hole, but I think I'd have a hard time drilling a .22 or .38 caliber hole in my pots.

Besides, want to only drill one hole? Fill the pot with sand first.

Just don't try to drill a 12.7mm hole on just one side, even with sand, you are almost deffinitely going to get two holes that way.

easy do self if hole size is 7.62mm, 9mm, 22mm, 38caliber, 44caliber, 45 caliber etc. etc.

The sign of a true marksman:

1922-bayou-classic-steamer-basket.jpg

Back