Black Wheat Lager Recipe input, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Suggestions, tips, criticisms, disapproving shakes of the head, etc. all welcomed. I'm going for a Black Wheat Lager. The Carafa II is there to get me to 40 SRM. The Danish Lager yeast is to help bring the hop flavor to the front without the hop bitterness and to promote a cleaner finish.

Recipe: Black Wheat Lager
Brewer: me!
Asst Brewer: me!
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 37.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 68.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 49.2 %
4 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 35.8 %
10.7 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
10.7 oz Wheat, Roasted (425.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.0 %
2.8 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.6 %
2.8 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.6 %
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 7.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 8 5.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) [124.21 Yeast 10 -

I was thinking of using a lot of wheat in a lager with Pilsner just to see how it turned out. Have you ever done it before? That much roast malt scares me for a lager. I can taste anything over 2-3 oz of debittered Carafa III in a lager (making a Vienna Schwartzbier tomorrow). If I suggest anything, it would be to lose or severely tone down the chocolate and roast barely. I would think they might cover up a lot of subtle flavors from the lagered wheat.

Brew it up either way and post back with the results!

Are you looking for the dark, roastyish flavors from the carafa and roasted barley, or are you using them just for color?
I've read (but have no experience with) adding the dark malts to the mash just at the very end will give most of the color, with very little flavor impact.
Either way, I'm curious how this will turn out.

I'm using the roasted barley to give that little roasty tang that's so nice in many black lagers. The carafa is for color...I went II instead of III because I was afraid of overpowering roastiness and coffee.

Maybe the carafa isn't worth it but there's something visually stunning to me about a black lager rather than just a dark lager. This is especially true in these cooler winter months.
The carafa is the ingredient I'm most concerned about and one of the main reasons I posted here and I'm appreciative of the input here. Also, I'm not sure about my yeast choice. I've been poking around a bit and I've heard some good things about Budejovice yeast. Anybody try that?

Latest posts

Back