WAORGANY Brewing e-HERMS Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[Hope the phone survived. That would really suck.

Could be the most expensive part of my build..a new iPhone!!!!

:drunk: :( :(:confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes the phone is working like a champ...ready for the initial Brew Day Tomorrow!!! SO excited[/QUOTE]

I love story with a happy ending!

Glad to hear it could be saved - like saving a batch of troublesome beer.

PID's all programmed, set, tested, HLT water heated, pumped to BK, water brought to boil...all systems are a go for brew day tomorrow....

Very excited about this and finally after a very long wait I am up and running on my WAORGANY Brewing's very own e-HERMS Brewery..let the fun begin!!!

first batch will me a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale....yeah yeah yeah!!:mug:

Yes the phone is working like a champ...ready for the initial Brew Day Tomorrow!!! SO excited[/QUOTE]

I may have missed this already, and of so sorry, but what's are you brewing to break in the system with?

EDIT: wow... Somehow missed the last post :drunk:

AVLbrewing said:
Yes the phone is working like a champ...ready for the initial Brew Day Tomorrow!!! SO excited

I may have missed this already, and of so sorry, but what's are you brewing to break in the system with?

EDIT: wow... Somehow missed the last post :drunk:[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha too funny!

Yeap, Pale Ale using Nelson Sauvin hops, this is what I am planning...

10 lbs Pale Ale
1 lbs C40
1 lbs wheat

1 oz NS 60 minutes
1 oz NS 10 minutes
1 oz NS 1 minute
1 oz NS dry hop secondary

Glad to hear that the I phone survived. Enjoy the maiden voyage on your new electric brewery. Should only take a few batches to get everything dialed in. I can totally relate to the first batch after all the planning, work, real life delay's and everything else involved to get to this point. Do not forget that you still owe Cidah 1.75 lbs. or whatever the heck it is in grain.:D All kidding aside enjoy the new brewery.

Dear Cidahmash I failed to add those oats to this brew but will use them in my next batch and send you $3.17 ha ha

Everything went pretty well today, over shot the mash temp and just kept rising have to figure out what I have programmed wrong on the PID found a small leak on the BK while cleaning and sanitizing everything same with the CFC, never tested it before today. Got those issues tightened up and things went well.

Kept the phone away from the water and came close to my final OG that I wanted and needed so am looking forward to

1 trying this beer
2 making my next batch
3 getting things down to a easy routine to help cut down on the time required.

Overall for my maiden brew on this system couldn't be happier.

Amazed how quick the CFC worked! Thought I would have to loop it through a time or two to cool down, wrong one pass would have been enough.

Have a few mods that I found my self saying this would be better if....

Need to remove the hot tub to a new home, add a vent, and tile the floor in my brew area and at some point run water to this area and I will be all set.

A big thanks to all the members who helped me with this build and to my old Army buddy S. Turner who came over to help with the initial brew! Very happy and excited.... Ready for the next batch, what should it be???

Any ideas!??

No?

Ok an IPA is !'n

Thanks again.

A few pics from the day

image-254144699.jpg

image-1872708565.jpg

image-4005132014.jpg

image-2542628178.jpg

image-4257240754.jpg

congratulaions!!!!!!! I've been following along in the shadows. Looks awesome. I bet you can't wait for your next brew session.
Been working on building one too but I still have a long way to go.

Coffee_Creek said:
congratulaions!!!!!!! I've been following along in the shadows. Looks awesome. I bet you can't wait for your next brew session.
Been working on building one too but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks yeah took me a little over a year and a quarter to get it all done. Was too cool to brew o. This today very quite and fun ready to do it again

It will take you a few batches to dial in your process and get acclimated to your system. Once you've got it down, you will be making quality brews consistently. It's almost like cheating. :D

Ready for the next batch, what should it be???

Any ideas!??

No?

Ok an IPA is !'n

Thanks again.

Why did you even ask, what 6 or 7 taps....go down the line...this is an IPA, and another IPA, wait let me check, yeah this other one is an IPA. I am looking forward to test firing the one we brewed.

Why did you even ask, what 6 or 7 taps....go down the line...this is an IPA, and another IPA, wait let me check, yeah this other one is an IPA. I am looking forward to test firing the one we brewed.

Nope not true...only had two IPA's on tap out of six the other day and now one of these kegs is empty. So yeap definitely going to need a replacement IPA...time to formulate a recipe!!! Have to scour through my grain to see what sounds good!!

Added a hop spider to my BK today in preparation for my Sunday Brew day of Ithaca Flower Power IPA, also put my 1st batch Nelson Sauvin IPA into secondary today as well!!! Now to just get the HLT PID issues figured out!

image-1086529978.jpg

image-521654643.jpg

congrats on the system! you rock climb?

Thanks Cidah!

Well define climb...don't remember thee last time I was on that wall other than when some friends where over a while back teaching one of the girls how too do it..I dabble a bit in it...not as much as I have in years past.

I have a pretty good indoor wall in my house with @ 17' ceilings 45 degree pitch, small over hang and a 15 degree incline as well as a boulder area...

former life I was a Certified Military Mountaineering Instructor and have climbed a few places around the country and world...nice catch.

Sweet! I have a rock cave built in my garage 22x30 but is only 8 feet tall. I could spot biners on slings from a mile away :)

There is a rock gym planned to go up in syracuse area soon. I like you have not been able to climb as much in syr but we are traing now in our cave for climbing this year!

I am a gunks lover, so I plan on heading t here as much as feasible this year.

Awesome that y were an instructor too

Sweet! I have a rock cave built in my garage 22x30 but is only 8 feet tall. I could spot biners on slings from a mile away :)

Hey cidah.... I don't want to derail, but since you guys are already talking about it, could you post a few pics of that wall? I'd love to see it.

Here are a couple, thought it doesn't show the features on the lest most wall. We just got another metolious 60 pack to help round out the wall.

ForumRunner_20130326_071808.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130326_071852.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130326_071852.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 288
  • ForumRunner_20130326_072005.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130326_072005.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 287
  • ForumRunner_20130326_072103.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130326_072103.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 286
Here are a couple, thought it doesn't show the features on the lest most wall. We just got another metolious 60 pack to help round out the wall.

View attachment 110780

Cidah...

You need some roof jugs up on the ceiling!! I'd love to come check that out some time..never have time to climb...as a matter of fact I need to put a panel back on my wall from when I ran my wires for my system..maybe see you at the grain pick up, all the best, great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Cidah...

You need some roof jugs up on the ceiling!! I'd love to come check that out some time..never have time to climb...as a matter of fact I need to put a panel back on my wall from when I ran my wires for my system..maybe see you at the grain pick up, all the best, great pics! Thanks for sharing.

You said it! I keep adding holds and now have a couple nice big jugs up there.. however I could stand to add many more. Right now a lot of the moves on the roof involve significant body tension and I would love to allow for a route that is a solid run of roof for the ~30 feet span. I built in some cool features that I still can't use because I don't have enough juggy holds. I also am not climbing at the level I once was, so it would be more with some larger roof holds. Man I wish they were cheaper...

I would love to see your wall too if you happen to have some pics. I am certainly proud of what I have here, but I am sure there are far bigger better walls at peoples houses!

Regarding your mash temp over shoot take a look before for autotuning steps. Autotuning must be similar for that PID, and most likely will be required. If not your PID will overshoot like you are describing. I had a similar issue and believed that I had autotuned. Apparently it must not have taken, or interrupted it. after my third autotune it worked and has continued to work since.

Be sure to autotune with a full volume like you would use in a brew session. And leave it alone until it completes (in my PID's case that meant that it stopped flashing).

For my PID I did the following:

1. In display mode 1 or 2 press "set" and hold for two seconds to display parameter menu.
2. Press "set" 9 times to get to "t" - use increment and decrement buttons to set value to "2" for SSR outputs.
3. Press "set" and use increment and decrement buttons to set "SN" code to 21 for (PTD100Rtd probes)
4. Press "set" and if "Dp" = "0" then leave as is for F degree reading.
5. Press "set" 12 times (A/M) use increment and decrement buttons to set value to "0" for manual mode

note the following assumptions:

a. OP-A (output mode) for the SYL-2352 PID is only available in the SSR control output configuration - so there is no need to set it.
b. COOL (System function, i.e. heating/cooling) for the SYL-2352 PID it is preset to 10 and that is the correct setting for heating and F temp; C = setting 2).

To operate in Manual mode with the above set:
1. press "A/M" to switch to manual Mode
2. use increment and decrement buttons to set value for % of power to element

To Autotune:
1. Press "set" to get to "at" - use increment and decrement buttons to set value to "2". It will flash and automatically start autotune. To do this correctly you want to autotune with your typical strike water volume and you have to be over 10F away from that target (start the autotune early, it seems to work better IME).
2. Once it is done on autotune you need to go in and reset the a/m back to "1" so you can use auto and manual heating modes. Autotune pushes the A/M setting back to 2 (manual mode prohibited).

Back