Keg Height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
My kegs will not be here for another 4-6 weeks. But I will have some time off work and want to get my chest freezer kegerator rolling. Without kegs of my own to measure I am stuck not really knowing the height of the kegs and the clearance I will need for hoses etc. Mine are ball lock cornys from Brewers Discount (not that the source should make a huge difference). Also a diameter measurement would be nice, I've seen everything from 8.3" to 9.5" for ball lock cornys.

Take a look at #10 here.

Or this. . .
kegcapacity.jpg

All of my kegs are Cornelius ball lock kegs, but I have two different models. The single handle Spartan and the more common double handle Super Champion. I have 6 of each and they are all 25" high and 8.25" in diameter.

The top of a QD, when installed, is 25.75". But when you install the tubing on the QD you will need to allow for the arc of the tubing as seen below. The height at the red line is 26.75".

4295-DSC02172.jpg

Beerrific said:
Take a look at #10 here.

Or this. . .
kegcapacity.jpg

This is a good photo, and I have linked to it many times, but there is an error in the measurments of the Cornelius keg on the right. It is a pin lock keg that is represented and I thought the diameter seemed too small at 8". I called The Beverage Factory and asked them about it and they acknowledged that the diameter for the pinlock keg should be 9" not 8".

Cool. Those are the numbers I was hoping for. My freezer is Tiny, 100L (3.5 cubic foot) capacity, but the floor is 45cm square (17.75"). It should just squeeze in four kegs once I put on a mighty tall collar. I will need to be really creative about the hoses, 20' of coiled beer line is going to take all my space.

johnsma22 said:
This is a good photo, and I have linked to it many times, but there is an error in the measurments of the Cornelius keg on the right. It is a pin lock keg that is represented and I thought the diameter seemed too small at 8". I called The Beverage Factory and asked them about it and they acknowledged that the diameter for the pinlock keg should be 9" not 8".

Yeah, i shouldn't take the credit. I pulled it from someone else's post, probably yours.

When I copy you in the future I will make note of the correct dimension. ;)

In the same line of questions:

Can you fit a 5gal (5.3?) commercial keg, a corny, and a 5lb CO2 tank in a Sanyo 4912? I haven't done anything to the door to mod it.

I did some measurements and it looked like it would be pretty close.

Has anyone done it?

Catfish said:
Cool. Those are the numbers I was hoping for. My freezer is Tiny, 100L (3.5 cubic foot) capacity, but the floor is 45cm square (17.75"). It should just squeeze in four kegs once I put on a mighty tall collar. I will need to be really creative about the hoses, 20' of coiled beer line is going to take all my space.

could you post a pic of it? im thinking of making a kegorator also and found a cheap chest freezer, except im going to put a faucet on the top since i dont have all the tools to make the collar. i want to make a 3 keg kegorator and am wondering if this is going to be big enough.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/hsh/316997610.html

chest freezer is def the way to go if you have the space. i have a 19 cu.ft. freezer converted.. not sure how many kegs i could fit but my system is a perlick glycol chilled 25 draw to a tower in my kitchen! posted a few pics.. i did a beefed up collar to help insulation values. can explain better in detail if interested..
f17bc0e2.jpg

645fb10f.jpg

cf9a91b1.jpg

Back