Austin, TX Trip. Tour guide needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
I will be in the Austin / Round Rock area the week of March 14th.

Any suggestions on what to do, where to go, what local band to see?

You'll be in town during SXSW. That whole week will be packed with people running all over town going to see bands and things (especially thurs/fri/sat). It will make it a bit more hectic, and harder to get into certain places than usual. For some, it's one of the best weeks of the year, for others its an excuse to leave town. Best bet, check showlistaustin.com for a list of shows going on in town, and a huge number of free shows to check out.

I think St Arnolds is doing a party at the Gingerman either thurs or friday.

Torchy's Tacos
County Line BBQ
SXSW will give you all the music you can stand
South Congress trailer park food court (Man Bites Dog is AWESOME)

Austin is my favorite city and has something for everyone. Bikers, hippies, yuppies, college kids, cowboys. They have it all. Take me with you.

food... Torchy's, Odd Duck Farm to Trailer (the pork belly slider is to die for), Gourdoughs (insane doughnuts), for bbq, County Line is good, Salt Lick is better.

beer... Gingerman, Draughthouse, Flying Saucer, check the Whip-In for hard to find bottles

Draughthouse for sure...

You'll likely run into a bunch of HBT'ers there, depending on which night you go - though I think Sacchromyces lives there.... :D

Make sure you go stand on the Congress Street bridge at sundown! The bats flying out for their evening "feed" is utterly AWESOME!

glenn514

So now I'm in Round Rock and stuck at the hotel with no rental car due to coworkers on this business trip. This sucks.

I found opal's it was not that far of a walk from marriot north on la frontera.

+1 Gingerman

Texas Chili Parlor for some Texas Red chili.

Too many good Mexican and BBQ restaurants to name. For Mexican, just try almost anything in East Austin or South 1st St. For BBQ, if you're downtown try Iron Works BBQ.

Latest posts

Back