Given a Lager Kit - Do not have Lagering setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exe

Reaction score
I was given a Midwest Oktoberfest Lager AG kit recently as a gift from my parents. Only problem being, I don't have a proper set up for lagering. I can brew the beer from start to fermentation but I have nowhere to sit it for 3-12 weeks at 36-45 degrees (as per the instructions).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do with this kit? I certainly don't want it to go to waste, but I have no options to properly ferment and lager the beer.

Any thoughts or options would be appreciated!

Time to get a fermentation chamber :)

Although old fridges are the obvious solution, I've seen people on this site's DIY forum frame a box just big enough for their needs, insulate the **** out of it, and then use tiny standalone AC units to cool it, or even, if you are into high tech solutions, TEC coolers.

Pick up a packet of cheap ale yeast and ferment it at the lowest temperatures available to you. I have done oktoberfest-style ales with good success. Otherwise you could try using the lager yeast at the ale temps and see what a steam-oktoberfest-style ale tastes like ;)

Thanks for the thoughts - any suggestion on a ale yeast that would work well with this style of beer?

Steam-oktoberfest? Understand that to be a joke but seriously, being new to this, what would happen if I were to use the lager yeast at ale temps?

Steam-oktoberfest? Understand that to be a joke but seriously, being new to this, what would happen if I were to use the lager yeast at ale temps?

It was partly meant in jest, partly not. California common (Steam beer) is brewed with lager yeast around the 70F mark. The result will be potential for "off" flavors. Otherwise, just go with a packet of nottingham or safale s-04 and you will be fine.

Doesn't sound like a sure thing but I think I'll pick up some s04 and give it a go...Thanks!

I asked a similar question just recently and someone pointed me to an NB kit that was a sudo lager-ale kit that used Wyeast Kolsch II yeast:

Wyeast 2575-PC Kolsch II Yeast

Sounded interesting. Just another possibility I guess, though I haven't tried it yet so don't take this is good info, just something to possibly look into as well.

Rev.

Doesn't sound like a sure thing but I think I'll pick up some s04 and give it a go...Thanks!

s04 is one of my favorite strains, but it's "English-y" which means there are some fruity flavors with it especially if it's fermented about 64 degrees or so.

I'd suggest dry nottingham for a pseudo-lager. It can be fermented from 57-70 degrees with good results. The cooler the fermentation, the more "lager-like" it'll be.

Just mail it to me and I'll brew it... and drink it... but I'll tell you how it turned out!

Back