hot break, leave alone or remove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yusupov

Reaction score
On my last (all-grain) batch that I brewed (now in the fermenter) when the wort started to boil and the "hot break" occured, I scooped some of the frothy scum like stuff off and discarded it. You often see the cooks at a ramen noodle restaurant do this.

Is this a good idea, a bad idea, or does it not really make a difference?

I scoop it into the pitcher (Screw my spelling) I use to hold the stir spoon. If enough of it forms and you get a cap on top of the boil say hello to eruption.

On my last (all-grain) batch that I brewed (now in the fermenter) when the wort started to boil and the "hot break" occured, I scooped some of the frothy scum like stuff off and discarded it. You often see the cooks at a ramen noodle restaurant do this.

Is this a good idea, a bad idea, or does it not really make a difference?

I leave it in now as it sediments at the end anyhow. I try to remove as much hot and cold break as possible to leave my wort clear going into the fermenter. I feel this makes for a better brew in the end.

As a note, hot break is continually being formed during the boil and it isn't only the initial foam. When the foam starts, reduce the heat to prevent boilovers, and just keep enough to keep it at a rolling boil.

I leave that hot break alone. In fact I keep a spray bottle of water to squirt the sides of the kettle so all the material gets back down into the wort. Alot of hop material is carried by the hot break and I don't want to lose any. Either way.....if you have good results by removing it, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Thanks for the answers, that clears it up.

I will wait and see if it makes any difference.

Back