Malt Mill Roller Spacing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefkdub

Reaction score
What is the best spacing for the rollers on malt mill? I'm sure that it is in the forum somewhere, but my search window is hidden behind the damn add at the top of the screen!

Usually 2 row, and I don't understand what you mean by flour handling ability

Some peoples systems can handle a crush as low as .035 which produces a lot of grain flour that can result in a stuck lauter if your system cannot handle it.

My fixed roller mill is set at .045

awesome, thanks guys. I have yet to have a stuck sparge.

I also think it depends on what kind of mill you are using, 2,3 or 4 rollers, speed at which you mill and are you conditioning the malt. In addition to type of malt as mentioned already. You need to adjust to your particular set up.

I have my Barley Crusher set to .035

Some nice images of milled grain here, as well as more info then you really need on the process.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/Presentations/Briess_2007CBC_Practical_Milling.ppt

.035 here with a schmidling malt mill. Moderate flour which is OK with batch sparging. I have never had a stuck sparge. Made a wit this past wkend, 10# wheat, no rice hulls, no problem at all. I use a 30" braid hose in my MLT.

Back