CO2 & New to Brew in Okinawa Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to brewing and new to the boards. I had to join, after drooling all over Jester's Keezer Project. I will DEFINITELY be building one of those when I get back to the Land of the Big PX! If for some reason you haven't seen it, Google "The Keezer Project" and then go to Page 1 of the thread. It is a work of art.

Well, I bottled my second batch of the golden goodness last night. (That is, my second "successful" batch, since the very first attempt exploded in my buddy's glass carboy--I don't want to talk about it....let's move-on.)

Despite the unspoken mishap, my awesome wife authorized Santa to bring me the Delux Starter Kit #5 from morebeer.com (the one for home-kegging). It was pretty-much the best Xmas ever. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I'm living in Okinawa Japan and am on a steep learning curve regarding CO2.

Long story short, I took my American CO2 bottle to the Japanese liquor store. They can't/won't fill it, because they only exchange empty/full bottles with their distributor. Fair enough. I bought ($70 or so but $50 was the refundable deposit) a Japanese CO2 bottle and to be sure, tested their regulator on my empty bottle and it seemed to fit. I got home and tried to attach my US regulator (which allows for specific PSI output for carbonating--not just pushing beer to a tap) and found out the Japanese connection is just a hair larger....of course it is.

I scoured the internet for an adapter with no success. The first glimmer of hope was an advertisement for an Aquatic/Aquarium adapter that looks perfect but had no specific model number or method to purchase. The second glimmer was a post from a guy who was given a Japanese regulator from a local bar owner. He was then able to swap the nuts between the regs and that worked for him. I have since removed the input stem from my regulator in preparation for acquiring a Japanese "nut" to swap...assuming I can ever find one.

Yesterday, I spent a couple hours at an awesome Japanese hardware store which specializes in non-standard items. They were incredibly helpful and called all kinds of other stores but were unable to help me out.

I'm going to start begging local bar owners for regulators, or at least try to find out where THEY buy them. I'm hoping to find one that somebody dropped and broke, but didn't throw away and will give to me for free..then another one for my buddy who got me into brewing in the first place...rriiigghhhttt...

Anyone? The only successful in-home keg-serving operation I've found over here (by searching the internet and word-of-mouth) is an American that uses a completely Japanese system to serve from Japanese kegs...not brew & keg his own.

Thanks!

Brett:mug:

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to save anyone the time from typing a response. I was able to acquire an adapter today!

I just got home in possession of an adapter which has been successfully tested to connect my US sized regulator to a Japanese CO2 bottle. I'll be brewing tomorrow and hopefully have MY first keg pull (a blueberry flavored recipe from mdhb.com for the wife, who authorized the kegging kit for Xmas) in a few weeks, as well!

After SIGNIFICANT effort and NUMEROUS failed attempts, here is the answer you are looking for, to CONVERT US TO JAPANESE CO2 BOTTLES:

Go to the Okano Gas company. They'll sell you the adapter and a little clear plastic washer for ¥2,500 (about $30). To get to the place, go out Kadena Gate #3 (the one North past Burger King) and turn left. Follow the road around the flightline to Rt 16 (first light, I think... vertical dragon sign on corner). Turn right and then make an IMMEDIATE right into the driveway. Park on the right and then walk to the first building (the sign says something about Water Bottling).

Just a warning, with the NewYears Holliday (week), I'm not sure what their hours will be. Also, I just bought 2 adapters (one for my buddy) and I'm not sure how many more they keep in-stock.

Hi Brett - I am a retired Marine and now find myself heading back to Oki for a few years - 4th time!!. We will be living on Kadena. I have a home beer tapper and plan to ship my Keg-a-rator... . Do you know if "Okano Gas company" is still around? If so can the changes to Japan specs be made easy? I get my brew here is Fredericksburg, "Blue & Gray" - love the fun of a Keg-a-rator! My home email is [email protected]. We will be there in Aug. "Semper Fi! -=mike=-

I think that's the name of the gas company I described in my post but it's been a few months and I have the memory of a gnat with ADHD. Either way, I received confirmation today from another member of HBT who was able to buy an adapter there recently so the instructions should be solid.

Hey Brett,

I received a call from Todd "Keg Connection" located in Texas. The POC he had regarding the CO2 fitting/ regulator has none in stock. They are firming up a contract with Japan Company and when the deal is completed there should be plenty of parts to retrofit our US to Japan tappers. Todd has one more company to follow up on.. I should hear back from him mid week.

Question.. what is "gnat with ADHD"? In your last email, "I have the memory of a gnat with ADHD. Either way, I received confirmation today from another member of HBT who was able to buy an adapter there recently so the instructions should be solid." Is the search over?

If this is the Company in Okie and they have the part (to link the Japan C02 to our US regulator)... Could you pick me up one please? Just tell me how much and I will you the money ASAP.

I will be in touch!

"Semper Fi!"

-=mike=-

Perhaps you guys have already gotten your situation cleared about this issue, but mine has just started. Also at Oki. So, my question is, to avoid doing the conversion, would you be able to get American CO2 tanks filled at Okano? I spoke with a welder down the street from my house, and he referred me there. If they would do it, I see this as a much easier solution.

I never tried having my american CO2 tank filled there--mostly because I wanted to be able to tell my movers that it has 'never been used' when I pack-out to go back to the US.

I do love the Japanese CO2 tank though... It has to be at least a 10#'er and seems to last forever. The deposit was 7,000 Yen and refills are only 2,000 (about $20). I've only had to refill once in a year, and that was because I had a leak and it drained the tank overnight.

(the place to rent the tank is straight out Kadena Gate #2, then left at China Pete's, just over the bridge. It's in that little shopping center on the corner--liquor store--don't remember the actual name but you can't miss it.)

Latest posts

Back