Hi from Yreka! (Northern northern CA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRiver

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm up here in good ol' Yreka, CA. AKA: State of Jefferson. Currently I am making a wild yeast cider and a Cote des Blancs cider from juice from Hunter's Orchards. Hopefully it will be yummy yummy for our Thanksgiving tummies. :cross:

Hubby is allergic to wheat (and possibly gluten), so I might try brewing him some wheat-free beer. Red Bridge is not cheap. I've been borrowing equipment from my brother-in-law, who is on a brewing hiatus, as well as buying some of my own. At this point it is surprisingly cheap and easy. Makes me wonder why more people don't try this.

Welcome again. You should try making a Cyser too. I made one with 5 gallons of fresh Cider and 15lbs of honey. It is really coming along well and is Gluten free.

I might do that. We have a really good apiary (Mowat Apiaries) down in the Weed area. This summer they had a melon honey that was unbelievable!

Just out of curiosity, where did you stop to eat? I'm betting it was on the south end of town. Black Bear Diner and a bunch of fast food joints seem to be what most people think of when they think of food in Yreka.

welcome! I love visiting humbolt! I'll be up there with a case of my thunderstruck pumpkin ale for thanksgiving visiting some friends in Samoa

Just out of curiosity, where did you stop to eat? I'm betting it was on the south end of town. Black Bear Diner and a bunch of fast food joints seem to be what most people think of when they think of food in Yreka.

I fueled up at the Valero thinking it would be cheaper,NOT.So then I just popped across the street to KFC.

Yeah, Valero isn't that cheap. I usually go to the USA gas station, which is just off the north exit (there are three exits; north, central (historic), and south. Most tourists go to the south exit because of the fast food. The central exit has non-chain food in the historic buildings. The north exit has the USA gas station and a couple of mexican restaurants.

Next time you pass by this way you might want to fill up in south Weed. It's probably cheaper.

welcome! I love visiting humbolt! I'll be up there with a case of my thunderstruck pumpkin ale for thanksgiving visiting some friends in Samoa

Alas, it is Eureka that you are thinking of. Yreka is where I live and it is about a four hour drive inland from there. But, I too love visiting the coast. A friend of ours lives in Eureka and we were just visiting him a couple of weeks ago.

Alas, it is Eureka that you are thinking of. Yreka is where I live and it is about a four hour drive inland from there. But, I too love visiting the coast. A friend of ours lives in Eureka and we were just visiting him a couple of weeks ago.
ah, well, welcome

Yeah, Valero isn't that cheap. I usually go to the USA gas station, which is just off the north exit (there are three exits; north, central (historic), and south. Most tourists go to the south exit because of the fast food. The central exit has non-chain food in the historic buildings. The north exit has the USA gas station and a couple of mexican restaurants.

Next time you pass by this way you might want to fill up in south Weed. It's probably cheaper.

I'll have to keep that in mind, I'm always up for some Mexican Food. I was surprised to see a .40 cent difference between Yreka and Chico. I know it's a longer haul but sheesh you folks are getting hosed. Anyhow, I love driving through there, something about that area that is appealing to me.:mug:

I'll have to keep that in mind, I'm always up for some Mexican Food. I was surprised to see a .40 cent difference between Yreka and Chico. I know it's a longer haul but sheesh you folks are getting hosed. Anyhow, I love driving through there, something about that area that is appealing to me.:mug:

Yup. We're in the middle of a whole lot of nothing, so things tend to cost more. That is probably also why you like driving through here. Scenery is similar to your neck of the woods. But, at least you have Chico near by. Oh, and there is a taqueria in Oroville that is making me salivate just thinking about it. :p

Back