Just tried Paulaner Hefe?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behemoth

Reaction score
Im not diggin the taste . This beer was on a room temp shelf a the local LS. The bottle date was 3/09. Kinda, well alot nutty to me. Can taste a little spice. That about all. Any body have any input to add. IS it just me or is it bad????? Im into my 2nd bottle. Ive had alot of diff beers but this my be a dud.:confused:

I dig that beer. Hefe's have an incredibly short shelf life though. Some argue you can't get a fresh hefe unless it's domestic. 3/09 sounds pretty f'ing old for that style of beer. I was drinking off a Paulaner keg the other night at the local ale house. Really good. Actually it's basically a world class example of the style.

However I still prefer Weihenstephaner, , Scheider Weisse, Ayinger or Hacker-Pschorr probably in that order.

In fact Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Dunkelweiss, and Schenider Aventinus are probably 3 of my favorite beers in the world.

Ok, I was thinking it was kinda old too . Its not bad but I too think 7 months at room temps may be pushing it. Im actually waiting for my dunkel and hefe shipment from northern to come in, possibly this week end then I can make a fresh batch.

I dig that beer. Hefe's have an incredibly short shelf life though. Some argue you can't get a fresh hefe unless it's domestic. 3/09 sounds pretty f'ing old for that style of beer. I was drinking off a Paulaner keg the other night at the local ale house. Really good. Actually it's basically a world class example of the style.

However I still prefer Weihenstephaner, , Scheider Weisse, Ayinger or Hacker-Pschorr probably in that order.

In fact Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Dunkelweiss, and Schenider Aventinus are probably 3 of my favorite beers in the world.
Those are all good too, but my top three would be Bamberger Weiss (not exported), Julius Echter and Tucher...:mug:

Those are all good too, but my top three would be Bamberger Weiss (not exported), Julius Echter and Tucher...:mug:

Nice, is that because you've been to Germany 99? My wife has family in Erzgeberg Germany. Its in the eastern mountain range. They are known for Nutcrackers and Herbal Schnapps, not like the stuff here in the States. I think we may be going soon to visit. Need at least 2 weeks to browse:cross:

Yes. I lived in Augsburg for 4 years (1975-1979) and outside of Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004). :rockin:

I've also vacationed there from the States/business trip about 4 times between 1980 and 1994...:ban:

I went over on a business trip for 2 weeks in the summer of 2006, my last time there.:mug:

Are you from Vineland? I'm from Camden.

Yes. I lived in Augsburg for 4 years (1975-1979) and outside of Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004). :rockin:

I've also vacationed there from the States/business trip about 4 times between 1980 and 1994...:ban:

I went over on a business trip for 2 weeks in the summer of 2006, my last time there.:mug:

Are you from Vineland? I'm from Camden.

Yes sir, Vineland here. Illinois eh, thats a far cry from camden. Cant say that I blame ya.

Paulaner is one of my favorite commercially brewed Hefes. I thought it has a spicy clove taste to it, something that is true to hefes. I could probably drink 3 or 18 of them at any given time :)

Yes sir, Vineland here. Illinois eh, thats a far cry from camden. Cant say that I blame ya.
Well, I actually left Camden way back in the 60s. Lived in So Philly until '67 then back to Woodlyn/Collingswood before moving to Atlantic City in 1969.

Came out to IL in '87...NC in '97-'99 then Germany til '04. Retiring in January '10.

Well, I actually left Camden way back in the 60s. Lived in So Philly until '67 then back to Woodlyn/Collingswood before moving to Atlantic City in 1969.

Came out to IL in '87...NC in '97-'99 then Germany til '04. Retiring in January '10.

Sounds like your a true South jersey / philly boy. Nothing wrong with that. It hardens the soul. Ive seen you around these forums with alot of good info. Excuse the sarcasm, but I guess your like an elder around here. Im new here, but made a few friends that deeply like to help out alot. Im grateful.

No excuse necessary...I'm full of sarcasm and wit myself. ;):D Probably too much some time...:rockin:

On a serious note, we all try our best to pass on our experiences, both good and bad, to you younger brewers...someone's got to take over after we're gone. :mug:

As for the age, I think there's a few older than me...I just turned 55 in July.

One of my best friends is from Vineland, 9th Ward if I remember correctly. He's retired in MD now.

I've been to Wheaton Village and Cowtown a couple of times.

No excuse necessary...I'm full of sarcasm and wit myself. ;):D Probably too much some time...:rockin:

On a serious note, we all try our best to pass on our experiences, both good and bad, to you younger brewers...someone's got to take over after we're gone. :mug:

As for the age, I think there's a few older than me...I just turned 55 in July.

One of my best friends is from Vineland, 9th Ward if I remember correctly. He's retired in MD now.

I've been to Wheaton Village and Cowtown a couple of times.

Ok, so youve passed thru not far from me. Im actually just around the corner from Wheaton Village about 5 miles east. How is that state of Il. Im kinda partial to the quiet life. Been to WV. Kentucky, Upsate NY. OHIO. Penn naturally.

I like living in IL. I live in a small village of 1100 people, own just over 2 acres, large garden, surrounded by corn and soy bean farms...got our kids, grandkids and greatgrands here...one's in CT.

I've vacationed in 49 of the 50 States (just missing Alaska), lived in NJ (several places and times), PA, NC (3 times), TX, OK, and CA. Plus Germany for a total of 9 years...visited more countries more times than I can count...I've been to Korea (4-5 times)...most of the southern Canadan provinces, Mexico (4-5 times) and several islands in the Caribbean...been to 8 Mardi Gras in Nawlins' and over 12 Octoberfests...

I can hardly wait to retire so I can travel...

I like living in IL. I live in a small village of 1100 people, own just over 2 acres, large garden, surrounded by corn and soy bean farms...got our kids, grandkids and greatgrands here...one's in CT.

I've vacationed in 49 of the 50 States (just missing Alaska), lived in NJ (several places and times), PA, NC (3 times), TX, OK, and CA. Plus Germany for a total of 9 years...visited more countries more times than I can count...I've been to Korea (4-5 times)...most of the southern Canadan provinces, Mexico (4-5 times) and several islands in the Caribbean...been to 8 Mardi Gras in Nawlins' and over 12 Octoberfests...

I can hardly wait to retire so I can travel...

Holy cow, Your like my idol. Is this village established very recently by a group? or just like livin in a large(area) town?

I think it's like over 100 years old. Relatively new compared to the village I lived in in Germany which was over 900 years old and Augsburg which was founded in 15 BC and named after Caesar Augustus (Octavian).

It's not even 1 mile across in any direction...1 grocery store and 2 bars...post office, library, park district, 1 cop car...almost everyone is a farmer and related one way or another...well, except for me that is. :D

Closest towns are 6 miles to the east, 8 miles west, 20 miles south and I have no idea how far the next town to the north is. I work 32 miles from here, all interstate. I live 1 mile off the interstate.

I think it's like over 100 years old. Relatively new compared to the village I lived in in Germany which was over 900 years old and Augsburg which was founded in 15 BC and named after Caesar Augustus (Octavian).

It's not even 1 mile across in any direction...1 grocery store and 2 bars...post office, library, park district, 1 cop car...almost everyone is a farmer and related one way or another...well, except for me that is. :D

Closest towns are 6 miles to the east, 8 miles west, 20 miles south and I have no idea how far the next town to the north is. I work 32 miles from here, all interstate. I live 1 mile off the interstate.

Sounds like a little piece of heaven. Or the Duke farm in Hazzard county:D
Just kidding! Thats my kind of living. Live off the land and easygoing living. I have a nice 5 acre piece in East Vineland . Big garden. Got chickens. Plenty of wildlife and fresh beer. Surounded by forest. Sounds like we have a lot in common. Well Sir its that time for me. I need to get up early for chores, eh I mean Honey do chores tomorrow. My name is Paul BTW, its been nice chatting. I'll see you around here I'm sure. Take care.

Back