Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinBierBitte

Reaction score
I just went through Deathbrewers partial mash how-to and it seems a lot easier than I thought. I already ordered extract kits from AHS so a partial mash will happen next batch. One of the kits however came with 1lb of steeping grains. I was wondering if I could apply the same partial mash steps to the steeping grains to maybe get more out of them?

It depends what the steeping grains are. If they are crystal then they can simply be steeped to extract their sugars. if they are grains like 2-row, vienna, munich, etc. they need to be mashed to convert into fermentable sugars.

Yeah go for it. Use 2.25qts of water for the mash (1.5qt per LB of grain). You can also use it as a dry run for when you have more grain. But the 2-row needs to be mashed, so it would be worth it to try. The crystal doesn't need it, but you aren't going to hurt anything by trying to get some conversion out of the 2-row.

Also it depends how precious your time is, I'd say mash around 158 to get faster conversion. If you are looking for a fast brew day, do a normal steep. I think the practice is worth it so you know what to expect. Make sure you monitor your water temp before and after you add the grain to see how much temp you lose on your system.

Thanks for the info. I have all day, no hurry at all so I will do the mini-mini mash just to try the process. I think I'm going partial mash from now on for sure though. Deathbrewer made it look really easy.

I think you will be really happy with partial mash. Since switching where I get my ingredients (Austin Homebrew) and switching to partial mash my beer quality has gone through the roof.

Latest posts

Back