Partial Mash Rye IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USM_Eagle

Reaction score
So I've had some luck in the past with making a decent recipe for a noob, but this will be my first time trying to do a 5 gal partial mash rye.
So here goes:

Partial Mash
1.5 lb Rye Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
0.5 Cara-Pils/ Dextrine

Mash in 5.2 qt water at 166 F hold 155
2 Step Sparge 165 for 10 min each at 6.5 qt

6 lb Light DME

Hops
0.5 oz Centennial (10.00%) 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial (10.00%) 30 min
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (5.00%) 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold (8.50%) 10 min
0.5 oz Tettnang (4.50%) at flame out
1.5 oz Tettnang (4.50%) Dry Hop 4 days

Irish Moss at 10 min

WYeast Thames Valley Ale (1275)

Est OG: 1.072
Est FG: 1.018
IBU: 43.1

Calculated on Beersmith.

1. I don't use biscuit or honey, so somebody else will have to answer this question: do they have enough enzymes to convert the rye starches? Rye can't convert itself.

2. How long will your mash be? (I do 60 min. at 155 for my RyePA and it seems to work well.)

3. I'm not much of a style-hugger, but the IBUs seem a tad low for an IPA. But maybe that's just me.

4. I've never thought to use honey malt in such a beer. Let us know how it turns out!

1. I don't use biscuit or honey, so somebody else will have to answer this question: do they have enough enzymes to convert the rye starches? Rye can't convert itself.

Sure it can. Briess rye malt has a DP of 105 Lintner, which is probably JUST enough to convert the biscuit and honey.

1. I thaught that I have read that malted rye is capable of converting itself, and I was also hoping that it would have enough diastatic power to also convert the Biscuit malt... am I asking too much out my Rye?
One more question if partial mashing with my grain bill that means that in the tun Rye is no longer 15% of the grain bill, so should I add rice hulls?

EDIT: Just saw
Sure it can. Briess rye malt has a DP of 105 Lintner, which is probably JUST enough to convert the biscuit and honey.

Should I add a bit of 2 row in to be safe?

2. Mash time is 0 min I don't know how I left that off.

3. Bumped the IBUs up to 63 by uping the centennial 60 min bittering to 1 oz and the Amarillo up to 1 oz

Thanks for all the help!

Back