Vieille harvest dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 weeks??? How? But I thought... Don't these bugs take a long time? Shortest I've heard was 3 months!

It was a pretty simple beer. base malt, rye, oats, and raw wheat. 1.046 to 1.008 in less than a week. Given more time it will drop a few more points. I definitely wouldn't bottle at that point. Obviously you don't get much in the way of brett character or anything more than light tartness. Although Most people were surprised at the flavours present given it was turned around in only 2 weeks.

I brought a sample to my yeast guy, and he confirmed there was lacto and a lot of pedio present.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a good amount of time before bottling. The saison yeast fermented it down to 1.004 SG though.

I would suggest pitching an under attenuating English strain, or a Belgian strain that doesn't finish too dry. Maybe wlp550 or wlp565. Pitch dregs or CS starter at the same time. You should get the best results this way, also likely to get more interesting and complex flavors.

Safbrew T-58 is a great Belgian strain that doesn't finish dry. In my experience, I get about 70-75% AA with that strain. Classic Belgian flavors and aromas as well.

Well I just realized the wort I pitched these built up dregs into has 25 IBUs. Am I screwed??

I'm pretty sure they have Pedio. You should be fine but I don't know for a fact.

It's ALIVE!!! Two weeks after pitching the dregs, there is something going on in there. Is it the start of a pellicle? Brett yeast rafts? Anyone? Bueller?
0605151106~2.jpg

I put 120 ml of 1.020 wort on top of 100ml of surette + dregs still in the bottle last night. Swirling it up seems to produce some bubbles. Excited to try these dregs. Anyone have other good under 2 month results from these dregs. Or other results?

Can I assume there is not sach in these dregs?

I'm pretty sure they have Pedio. You should be fine but I don't know for a fact.

Pedio can survive IBUs? Is there a limit to how high they can survive?
Also, would the lacto be dead now, or just dormant?

Lacto would possibly be dormant if IBUs kept it from souring. I'm thinking of Jolly Pumpkin dregs I pitched from a very not sour (higher IBU) beer that turned my Brett culture into a super hop resistant sour culture. Like 35 IBUs and a huge hop stand and still sours.

From personal experience, I can tell you that Crooked Stave dregs are very viable. I believe they are all force carbed, so you wont be getting any sacch or wine/champagne yeast in there like most viable commercial brett/sour dregs. As far as I know, ALL Crooked Stave beers should have viable brett/bugs in them.

Like others have said, probably just not enough time. Also, dont expect to see a huge krausen, if at all, especially on such a small scale. I have pitched multiple CS bottles of dregs into a 1 gallon jug of wort and didnt see any airlock or krausen activity, but the final beer turned out great! Just have faith that Chad's beasts are strong and be patient with them. Crooked Stave dregs might be my favorite to work with. O, and the beers arent half bad either. :D

Cheers and good luck!

This is my experience. Collected 6-8 bottle dregs. Pitched 1/2 qt 1.040 no aeration and used airlock. Took 3 days then blammo. Third step up last night now have a lot of "yeast" sediment and airlock activity. It was mix of Brett and Brett/Sour beers. At second starter growth pH was 3.33 nice clean with fruity Brett. Pitching it this weekend into what will be a tart/sour? Brett saison. Other half with be lacto from grain.

Lacto would possibly be dormant if IBUs kept it from souring. I'm thinking of Jolly Pumpkin dregs I pitched from a very not sour (higher IBU) beer that turned my Brett culture into a super hop resistant sour culture. Like 35 IBUs and a huge hop stand and still sours.

That's probably pedio rather than lacto.

Could be, but I've always heard it's lacto in JP. Also Cascade is similar in hop tolerance and it's definitely not pedio.

Could be, but I've always heard it's lacto in JP. Also Cascade is similar in hop tolerance and it's definitely not pedio.

Yeah, but JP tastes very deep and complex while Cascade has a simpler more one-note sour character. Given that JP is wild-inoculated and Cascade carefully controls their microbes, I would imagine that pedio is involved. Though, JP dregs sour very quickly, which raises a little doubt in my mind - but I still can't imagine that most of the lactic acid comes from lacto.

So my saison with Vieille dregs is tasting pleasantly sour and delicious. The gravity is stable, so I will probably bottle soon at 2.8 or 2.9 vols just in case.

Update: Just bottled the sour saison with CS Vieille dregs. It has assertive tartness that doesn't linger and a very lemon-lime flavor and aroma.

This is my experience. Collected 6-8 bottle dregs. Pitched 1/2 qt 1.040 no aeration and used airlock. Took 3 days then blammo. Third step up last night now have a lot of "yeast" sediment and airlock activity. It was mix of Brett and Brett/Sour beers. At second starter growth pH was 3.33 nice clean with fruity Brett. Pitching it this weekend into what will be a tart/sour? Brett saison. Other half with be lacto from grain.

Beer came out awesome - very sour. Tasting side by side with Progenitor you could tell they were the same bugs - only real difference was my lack of oak tannins and a different dry hop.

Have a starter from CS (combined Vielle x 2 and Wild Sage Saison x 1). Want to use it for my "brett drie equivalent" in TMF's 'Merica Saison. Any issues with pedio making this thing ropey? I'm thinking the beer will ferment within a week, dry hop then keg condition. Need to serve it 2nd week in May. I do have commercial brett drie vial I could pitch instead. Thoughts?

Went ahead and pitched a commercial brett this time around. Figure I'll do a rustic saison of sorts with it instead.

Won 2nd place at the state fair HB comp with my sour saison that I made. Am Wild Ale style category.

Back