Enough oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.071 DIPA last night, and oxygenated with a O2 tank and stone. I was at the last of my tank and got out about 60 seconds of O2, but it was a weak output. I saw it starting to foam on top, so I knew it was getting oxygen. Would this be enough to have a healthy fermentation? My ferm has not started yet, so can you add oxygen before it starts?

Anything is better than nothing so I think you will be fine. Anyway, slower is better because the oxygen dissolves into solution instead of just making foam on the surface.

Those who don't have aeration equipment just slosh the bejeebers out of the wort... So if I was unsure of the O2 from the tank I would have shaken it also.

I think that you probably got enough oxygen in there and fermentation has probably started even if you don't see anything so I would not add any O2.

I've seen folks who advocate a second O2 addition very soon (like, you aerated pitched yesterday, so aerate again today) after fermentation begins for big beers. Go ahead and hit it again; you won't hurt anything but you'll feel better and ensure a healthy fermentation.

I've seen folks who advocate a second O2 addition very soon (like, you aerated pitched yesterday, so aerate again today) after fermentation begins for big beers. Go ahead and hit it again; you won't hurt anything but you'll feel better and ensure a healthy fermentation.

+1

In "Yeast", White & Zainasheff recommend adding a second dose of oxygen after 12-18 hours for beers over 1.083. I think it would help in your case also.

Back