Is this a leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MessyJesse

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a noob question. This is my first time kegging. I am force carbing a double IPA following the instructions that came with my kegging set up from midwest. 30 psi for 24 hours, taste, 20 psi for 24 hours if under-carbed, etc. until ready, then serve at desired pressure.

I think I have a co2 leak because I started yesterday with 900 psi shown on the high pressure side of the regulator. Today I am down to 550 psi, almost in the red "order gas" zone. I've been using soapy water in a spray bottle to try to find a leak but no luck. I found one right away yesterday when
i forgot the nylon washer in the cylinder coupling nut, so I know what I am looking for. I also tried listening for a leak using my mechanics stethoscope on all the junctions and treads. No luck.

Do I have a leak or is this typical or a beer force carbing?
Thank you!

Yeah, I guess that is it huh? 900 psi was warm, 550 psi is cold. Hmm... I think I remember reading about that.

So I can stop looking for the imaginary leak now?

I asked the question about a month ago. it kinda sucks when you think you lostall your carb one one keg.

Oh no doubt I about had a fit thinking my tank was empty and living in a small town in the south I have to travel to another town and paid another un-Godly amount of money to fill a 5lb tank.

Back