Cider repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort*hog

Reaction score
Just got back into brewing after a five year break. While viewing a thread about cider on a unrelated forum. I recalled my first and only attempt at cider. Upon a recommendation from a brew store employee I added some acid blend. I wound up with 54 bottles of instant heartburn. I don't recall drinking it or pouring it out. I went out to the garage last night and there it was all boxed up ready for round 2. I opened a bottle and poured it into a mug. Plenty of fizz and very clear. A sip and a grimmace. Yeah same old stuff. Way too acidic for me. So I think if I sweeten it up it might get better. Closest at hand was the Splenda. So I grab a packet and add it to the mix. Stand back time! instant volcano! That was cool so I add another packet. Not much reaction this time. It was like mixing baking soda and vinegar. We know what that does; nuetralize the acid! To my lips it goes. Yes sweet and the acidity gone! success! Yeah I know its far from natural. But it's not going to go to waste.

Back