Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bals

Reaction score
Just checking to see if I'm doing this right.

I've had my Grain Belt Premium Lager in the primary since 2/11/09. It just stopped airlock activity a day or so ago at 47-57 deg F.

Last night I moved the fermentor from my shop boileroom/lagering room to the house laundry/ale fermentering room at about 65-70 deg F

Today I notice some airlock activity, which I expected with the movement and the temp change. I plan on leaving it here for about a week or so before I take a hydrometer reading and rack to a secondary with gelatin as fining for a couple more weeks back into the boileroom/lagering room, before kegging.

Do you think this is the right squence of events to make a good lager or am I way off?

You're on the right track, but I really think your rest temperature is way too high. You only need to boost the temperature by 10degF or so for 24-48 hours.

Cheers,

Bob

As NQ stated, sounds like you're pretty much on track. I do agree about the Diacetyl rest temps though. According to John Palmer, you should be bringing your beer back up to about 55-60 °F for 24 - 48 hours before cooling it down for the lagering period. This will ensure that the Diacetyl is converted/consumed while no releasing any other by products that wouldn't be wanted in your lager. Here's a quick link to Palmer's site regarding Lagers:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

There is quite a bit of good information contained on this site as it is bascially his book in digital form. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. I checked the temp on the primary bucket and see that it is 66 deg F.

Now I do have windows in both of my fermentation rooms. Not direct sunlight, but light. To overcome this I cover my fermentors with black garbage bags, with a hole for the airlock to stick out. So I can see it work. In the colder area I also cover that with a bath towel to prevent temp shock when a door gets opened and such. When I moved the Lager to the warmer room I also used the towel for the same reasons, except for higher temps of laundry activities.

Folowing your reconmended reading and your sugestions, I think I'll rack to the secondary and move back to the cooler area tonight, as it's been 24 hrs since I warmed it up.

Back