I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm. I was thinking the Simcoe because it's high-AA, getting very old (2006 crop, faded to brownish color, smells kinda cheesy), and I want to use up as much of it as I can (I have a ton).

Maybe I'll attempt to stick to the original plan then.

Question. How long to most folks leave in primary? Do you secondary or just bottle and let age?
My plan is 5-6 weeks in the primary.
Rack to a keg and bulk condition (in the 45 degree garage) for 4-5 months.
Chill and force carb nice and slow for 14 days.

This should get me to March when I'll bottle as we get close to the shipping window.

I think it will be important to get these guys shipped out during the cool of the spring.

My plan is 5-6 weeks in the primary.
Rack to a keg and bulk condition (in the 45 degree garage) for 4-5 months.
Chill and force carb nice and slow for 14 days.

This should get me to March when I'll bottle as we get close to the shipping window.

I think it will be important to get these guys shipped out during the cool of the spring.

I think 6 weeks will be the magic number for me as well, if not 2 months. Then to secondary for 4-5 months as well. Then keg and force carb the same.

Muncher, I agree. Early spring is a good idea. Not too late in spring, as us in the desert-type areas get hotter much sooner.

Got my 5 gallon starter brewed on Saturday (Nice, simple Cascade APA). Started at 9 and it was still too HOT!! Got a little bit of Heat Stroke and it took 2 days to recover:(

In a month, when I brew this monster, I will start no later than 6am.

In a month, when I brew this monster, I will start no later than 6am.

I, uh, take it it's a little warm there? ... Feel bad for ya man, I b*tch and moan when it's over 76*F outside. I'm not much of a summer person. I prefer brewing in the freezing cold. (Although then my CFC freezes!!)

I, uh, take it it's a little warm there? ... Feel bad for ya man, I b*tch and moan when it's over 76*F outside. I'm not much of a summer person. I prefer brewing in the freezing cold. (Although then my CFC freezes!!)

Yeah...a little hot.
It's hitting about 110-111 here nowadays (City of Sin---and Sweat).
It will be worse in a month.
You really have to be careful when working outside. It can really get you quick. I had nausea and was near passing out for about 12 hours after I finished on Saturday. And I was all cleaned up and inside by 2:00pm!!

I just noticed the recipe calls for "Pale Malt", is this regular 2row or pale ale malt? And, is the sucrose a necessity? I plan on swapping this, so I don't want to stray to far from the recipe.

My toying-with-ideas continues... I think I'm using Sugar In The Raw instead of table sucrose, to give it a little more dimension... I want to make it a smoked barleywine (after trying my Left Hand Goosinator, I'm so very intrigued!!) but I'm resisting that urge. Instead, I might try home-toasting 1.5# or so of the base grain.

I've given up on the Simcoe, thanks again for the feedback in that regard... I'm leaning towards the Magnum, as listed, for bittering (since I have plenty) and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the C-hops. I've never been a fan of Cascade, so that one is out. I'm thinking Centennial all the way across. I noticed someone selling half-lb's, I might just spring on one... I can use the rest for Dude's LWPA.

Am I on the right track? Gosh this is so hard, I'm combining two of my weakest areas of knowledge - American hops and Barleywines!

... I think I'm using Sugar In The Raw instead of table sucrose, to give it a little more dimension...

I will probably convert table sugar to invert...with little to no caramalization...basically making a clear Belgian candi to add that bit of dimension.

I won't do any smoking, but I might toss in just a pinch (literally) of oak chips.

I just noticed the recipe calls for "Pale Malt", is this regular 2row or pale ale malt? And, is the sucrose a necessity? I plan on swapping this, so I don't want to stray to far from the recipe.

domestic 2-row will be fine. The British pale malt just has a little different character which adds an additional backbone to this beers malt character, but it will have plenty of character with out it!

I will probably convert table sugar to invert...with little to no caramalization...basically making a clear Belgian candi to add that bit of dimension.

I won't do any smoking, but I might toss in just a pinch (literally) of oak chips.

Pastor/Muncher,

I like the idea of making a clear invert candi to sub for the table sugar. I am a little confused on the making of it.
I read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42786&highlight=making+candi and want to make sure I have the correct procedure for making 1.5 pounds of Clear invert Candi Sugar.

1.5 lbs Clear Candi

3 cups granulated sugar
1.5 cups water
3 tsp lemon juice

Bring to a boil and keep between 260 and 275 degrees F until desired color is achieved (in this case, a very light yellow if anything). Then take the temp to 302 degrees F and then remove from heat to "greaseproof paper."
What does that mean? What can I use? I have one of those silicone cookie sheets. Will that work?

Thanks for the help.
Chris

the silicone sheet should work fine, you just need something that the sugar can cool on without sticking and you don't want greese because of its negative effect on the final product.

Thanks Pastor.
I will give it a try tonight.
Do you think I should increase the amount from 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds? Beersmith is giving me a slightly lower SG yield from the candi than with plain sucrose and I want to stay at 1.119 to keep with the 9's theme.

Huh. Beersmith puts me at 1.129 with the stock ingredients, no modifying. More when I get home, back to my compy.
Edit: Actually, 1.131. I forgot I added 1lb Smoked malt. Without that, I'm at 1.128. I used BeerSmith's built-in Scale function to get from 5.75 gal down to 5.00 gal.

So I kept playing with it, and my scaled-down recipe is:
20lb Pale Malt
1.25lb Munich
6 oz Cara-60
6 oz Pale Choc Malt
1 oz Special B
1.5 lb invert sugar (or Sugar In The Raw, don't know yet)
1.25 oz Centennial @ 60"
1 oz Galena @ 60"
1.0 oz Centennial @ 25"
1.5 oz Centennial @ 0"
1.119 OG, 1.029 FG, 19 SRM, 99 IBUs

OK so some more questions..... Right now, the 5-gal recipe lists this as hop schedule:
1.66 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 25.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

Are the 0-min flameout hops going to make that much of a difference? After all, if aroma hops are going to fade immensely in the year-plus this will be aged, then why hop so heavily at the aroma point? -- OR is the point of loading up the aroma-end to make it have enough to stick around for a year?

Think it'll hurt/help/otherwise to sub more Centennial (or I have Amarillo too) for the Cascade? Or would it be better served to spread any additional Centennial out through the additions?

I'm sorry I'm overanalyzing this. You can shoot me now. :(

Made my Belgian Candi last night. By the time I got it to 302 on my gas range, it was already a light amber color.
Oh well, I guess it will be amber Belgian Candi instead of clear. What's a little more carmelization going to hurt in a beer this big and complex?

Made my Belgian Candi last night. By the time I got it to 302 on my gas range, it was already a light amber color.
Oh well, I guess it will be amber Belgian Candi instead of clear. What's a little more carmelization going to hurt in a beer this big and complex?

Not at all. I think it might even be better that way!

Not at all. I think it might even be better that way!

That's what I wanted to here!
Beersmith says a change from clear to amber candi will increase the overall color by almost 10 SRM putting it near 30. Do you think this is accurate? It doesn't seem that the little bit of candi can darken the entire 5 gallons so dramatically.

I have never done a beer this big. For those that are bottling from secondary instead of keg to bottle, do you just sprinkle a packet of dry yeast into your bottling bucket and gently mix it in case the yeast are finished?

I saw around post 100 or so that the 1056, even though it has an alcohol tolerance of 10%, should be able to hit an abv of 11+%. Is that just due to using a huge starter?

Here's my partial mash grain bill for anyone interested/wants to critique. All I did was scale back the 2-row and sub with DME. The approx $40 for the DME didn't hurt as bad as you'd think. That's what happens when you come face to face with a monster.

10# light DME
4# 2-row
2# munich
6 oz pale choc
4 oz special b
12 oz crstal 90L

I know, I know, I haven't ponied up for membership to participate in the swap yet...just holding out for a B-day present :) What did the little birdy say? :D

I know, I know, I haven't ponied up for membership to participate in the swap yet...just holding out for a B-day present :) What did the little birdy say? :D

You spent 40 on DME alone and can't pony the 20 for membership?
C'mon man. This is a very, very valuable site and doesn't run for free.

Not trying to flame or anything:D

I think he means a birthday present from someone close to him. Parent or a spouse or a SWMBO perhaps. :)

I think he means a birthday present from someone close to him. Parent or a spouse or a SWMBO perhaps. :)

Ding ding ding, SWMBO didn't know what she was doing when she started this account! I know it's only $20, but I never want anything come birthday time, so I'm trying to hold off on a membership till then. Obviously sites don't pay for themselves, but non-paying members clicking on ads helps out :p

Any comments on my yeast question or my PM recipe? I don't think I saw any PM recipes for this brew yet.

P.s. - the little birdy says cheap cheap cheap.

I'm also interested in hearing if we should use something other than American Ale yeast. I am brewing on Sunday and have a starter of American Ale already working, brewing a victory pale ale (10 gallon) in two carboys, one with the 1056 and one with notty. If we don't think the 1056 will attenuate enough I'll end up using the notty cake. Don't want this to turn out too sweet.

After watching my Cry Havoc rip through my Apfelwein, I think I'm using Cry Havoc in mine for sure. @Korndog, I'll upload a 5 gal .bsm or BeerXML or something tonight when I'm back at the control panel. :) (unless someone beats me to it)

I need a little help coming up with an idea for making my starter. I'd like to just pitch onto a cake from a beer I'll brew in the next 2 weeks. I'd also like to try to use up some of the hops I have in my freezer. I have the following waiting to be used:
2 oz cascade (1 oz reserved for 9/9/9)
4 oz amarillo
4 oz centenial (2 oz reserved for 9/9/9)
16 oz EKG (I would really like to use some of these up)
I'm open to purchasing additional hops but would like to use these as a first choice.

I'd also like to keep it to the 1056 yeast to stick to the recipe. Any ideas?

I need a little help coming up with an idea for making my starter. I'd like to just pitch onto a cake from a beer I'll brew in the next 2 weeks. I'd also like to try to use up some of the hops I have in my freezer. I have the following waiting to be used:
2 oz cascade (1 oz reserved for 9/9/9)
4 oz amarillo
I'm open to purchasing additional hops but would like to use these as a first choice.

With your cascade, amarillo and centenial some pale malt and a little crystal you could make a nice Pale Ale that would be great for a starter. Edworts Haus Pale Ale might be a good starting point with 1056 instead of Nottingham and some of those first 3 hops used in place of all cascades.

Another choice would be a nice Scottish Ale using a little bit of the EKG. 1056 works pretty well there also. Jamil's Scottish Ale I used the recipe with crystal at the 80/- level and it turned out great.

Craig

I have Cascade in stock. Is there a reason other than availability?
Nope, just availibility. Again, sorry I didn't have the 100% stock recipe, I had already started tinkering. It should be really close.

I need a little help coming up with an idea for making my starter. (...)
4 oz amarillo

I got two ideas for you. First. Make a simple SMaSH or a ordinary bitter. EASY way to use up some of those EKGs. For the bitter, do 8 lbs of 2-Row, 1 lb of Caramel 40, and about 3 oz of EKGs, 1 @ 60, 1 @ 15, 1 @ 5. For a SMaSH, drop out the 1lb of Caramel, and maybe only do 1/2 oz for the 15 and the 5 minute additions.

Second, do an Amarillo SMaSH. It'll work better with the 1056 yeast cake. RichBrewer and I both brewed one recently. I love mine to bits.

That Amarillo SMaSH looks to be the answer I was looking for! I'm going to have to do an EKG IPA or something soon to use some of these up... (if anyone is looking to do a hop swap for some EKG, send me a PM. :) )

Can someone summarize this Barleywine Swap? I've never done an HBT swap before, but I'm in.

Do we brew our own recipe, same recipe, etc?
Do i need to formally signup somewhere?

Or of course, feel free to tell me to read all 11 pages of the swap thread and ill walk away with my tail between my legs.

So, if its informal and someone is tracking this...
Im in. Ill brew a Barleywine on 09-09-08 to swap on 09-09-09

MNBugeater

You brew (roughly) the same recipe. I say (roughly) because there is no Barleywine Police saying that you have to follow it to a Tee. For example, I don't have Cascade but I have a pound of Centennial, so I'm going to adjust accordingly. I might also play slightly with the grain bill. Nothing drastic, just a couple subtle changes. (Mostly because I don't like raisin-y tastes, I prefer more caramel-y and chocolate-y and bread-y tastes. So I plan to minimize the amount of Caramel 120 I add.) But it'll still be Mostly the Brewpastor Barleywine Experience.

To sign up, send a PM to Biermuncher.

All other pertinent info can be found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64150

That Amarillo SMaSH looks to be the answer I was looking for! (...) (if anyone is looking to do a hop swap for some EKG, send me a PM. :) )

Amen brother! Mine is flat out delicious. Subtle hints of pineapple and grapefruit, backed by a sweet honey bready backbone. Simple, crisp, and I can put away a half-dozen pints in a night before collapsing on the floor. (I made mine about 5.2% abv, 1.055 OG) And... PM sent.

I plan on becoming a productive(paying) member of society soon and really want to try this. This would be my first big beer so I know very little about them. after entering the recipe into beersmith, scaling to fit my 15 gallon rig and reading through 433 posts this is what I came up with. Please tell me where I screwed up or what changes need to be made for this to come off right. I'm looking forward to membership, this swap and others in the future.
made a couple mods to recipe
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.38 gal
Estimated OG: 1.119 SG
Estimated Color: 19.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
32.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.43 %
2.78 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.16 %
1.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.97 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.29 %
3.90 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 78.8 IBU
2.04 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (25 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
1.39 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.39 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
4.40 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 8.0 days) Misc
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.15 %
3 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 36.82 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 40.50 qt of water at 169.1 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
use faom control and very large starter(5 gallon). oak to be placed in conditioning keg.

Is the sugar just tossed in the boil? As for the hops, when originally entered in BS I had like 50 IBU no matter what scale I used. So I just started increasing amounts to get the 99. Does this seem like a lot of hops for this size batch or is it a matter of hi grav wort reducing hop utilization?

yea beerthirty, you just put the sugar in 5 minutes before the boil is done to keep it from carmelizing too much.

Does anyone else have a problem with the beer going too dark when you "tweak" the recipe? Has anyone been able to add smoked malt without the color going black? I'd like to hear about what, if any, modifications people are doing. Besides of course hop substitutions.

Back