5 gallon ball lock as primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
I know I've seen a kit somewhere that allowed one to use a corny as a primary. The kit replaced the pressure release with an airlock. Problem is that I cannot remember what company I saw this from.

I am working on doing my first lager and I don't think the primary will fit inside my beer fridge, but I can fit a few cornies in there and think the airlock kit will do the trick.

I'm starting to think I may need a keezer in addition to my fridge. (sigh)

You don't need a specialized cornie keg lid. Just remove the gas post & put a
1/4" ID tube over the threaded extention the gas post connects to, drop the other end of the tube into a jar of water. As you are almost certain to have a blow off with 5 gal. of wort in a 5 gal. cornie.

Once the fermentation has settled down a short piece of 1/4" ID tubing say 1 & 1/2" to 2" long over the threaded gas post extention with an air lock in the other end will do.

The only problem you might encounter is the pressure relief valve may become clogged due to the kaursen. But that shouldn't be a problem with the gas post being open to an air lock or blow off tube.

Technically, you could use a hollowed out dead cow as a primary if it was sanitized enough....

Sorry! I have just read the whole turkey fryer turkey beer thread and it is hilarious. That topped by the smooth criminal video has me in a surreal hilarity driven stupor.

Cheers!

lid.jpg

Is this what you want?

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelious-Keg-Lid-for-Secondary-Fermenter_p_168-999.html

I jury rigged a disconnect with a piece of a broken racking cane once, A simple blowoff hose would be much easier.
I would use foam control drops so you dont blowoff all your yeast.

2618427590101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Rich, that's a nice little hookup you have. I'll have to figure out how to get that into the fridge, so maybe a loop would be in order with the airlock off to the side and just above the tank top. I'll also look into those drops. I'm not sure how much foam one would get though from regular beer. My first one didn't have all that much and I'll be brewing light lagers for a while. hmmm. Maybe a quick trip to the store looking for a very cheap freezer will be in order.

Back