Too long for a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
I need some advice about my first hefe. I brewed this one about two weeks ago and I'm not going to be able to bottle for probably another week, because I don't have enough empty bottles. Never thought that would be a problem.:cross: My question is will this hurt the style of the beer since it's supposed to be cloudy?

Recipe:

Steeped 1/2 lb munich and 1/2 lb flaked wheat 20 min. 155 degrees F
6lb wheat lme
1 ounce Hallertauer 60 min.
pitched at 70 degrees F
fermented at 68 degrees F
yeast: wyeast YS3068 Weihenstephan

With this recipe will it still be hefeweizen cloudy at three weeks?

Hang on does no mean it will or will not hurt the beer? My questions were kind of unclear.

You wll be ok - if your worried about clarity when your going to our it just make sure you shake up the yeast sediment on the bottom of your bottle and pour it into the glass.

I am drinking a batch of it now its very good. I dont want to get too far off track here but is heffe supposed to be a bit sweet. I ended up with a OG of about 1041 and FG ended up about 1015 which is more then i anticipated leaving me with a sweeter beer. It tastes very good but is it true to style?

Thanks in advance for the info :)

My question is will this hurt the style of the beer since it's supposed to be cloudy?
My answer to that question was no it won't hurt it, If you are going to enter it then you can cloud it a little at racking, as far as flavor it won't have an appreciable effect. I have 2 Hefe recipies that I actually filter to make them clear

SRTBREW said:
Hang on does no mean it will or will not hurt the beer? My questions were kind of unclear.

It means it will be just fine

Thanks everyone that's a relief.
oh and Budbo your avatar makes me laugh my a** off every time I see it.

in my experience, with yeasts that don't drop out well (can't think of the word for it) it doesn't matter how long they sit, they will be cloudy. I've dealt mainly with white labs yeast and I know wlp300 and 400 are cloudy 4 months later.

Back