Counter pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a counter pressure bottle filler? can the bottled beer be stored indeffinately after being filled with one of these, or does the little bit of oxygen that gets in the bottle ruin it over time?

Thanks!

If you do it right, there should be no oxygen. You purge with CO2, fill, then cap. A small amount of CO2 comes out of solution to fill the headspace and protect the brew. In theory, it hangs in there with traditional bottle conditioned brews.

Two words for you :

BEER GUN

Definitely worth the money

Cheers

I have never used a CPF, but do own a beer gun. I like the beer gun, because it allows you to purge with CO2 before each fill.
Do some more research and make your own decision.
Another thought is that I've heard about beer on the ceiling with a CPF, which won't happen with a beer gun, unless you dispense around 90 PSI.
:)

Sea said:
Does anyone have a counter pressure bottle filler? can the bottled beer be stored indeffinately after being filled with one of these, or does the little bit of oxygen that gets in the bottle ruin it over time?

Thanks!

I use a counter pressure bottle filler. They are excellent. you first flush the bottle with co2, then fill to within 3/4 in of the top. co2 is heavier than air so no o2 will be inthe bottle. Most bottled beer needs to be stored at cellar temps. depends on what the syle of the beer is as to what it's "shelf life" will be. Beer on the cieling can happen, but it would be the operator's fault, you have to push the correct button :)

I love my counterpressure filler, but I have never let bottles sit for an extended period of time. Every time I have used it was to give bottles away or submit for competition. Like it was mentioned before, if you do it right, you purge the bottle with CO2 first, so there really shouldn't be much oxygen in there.

Keep this in mind.. commercial breweries bottle this way. Sure, they have machines doing it but the concept is similar. I think some systems put a single drop of liquid co2 in each bottle to purge the O2. Pretty neat.

Back